Monday, May 29, 2023

Hello Tin Lizzie

I reacquainted myself with my long arm machine last week. It was a comfortable session, too, as I loaded, quilted, bound and labeled the same quilt without a single snafu.

Admitting to myself that I've done so little quilting this year is something of a hard pill to swallow, as I set long-arming lots of quilts as one of my main goals of the year. Hmm..

But here we are nearly at the end of May and I have just 2 quilted quilts to show for myself. I guess I have to look at being a bit more accountable in the next 7 months, right?

The baby quilt I stitched in January/February while we were in Florida finally needed to be finished - that baby is already 5 months old! My hardest decision was which backing to use; I found a neutral solid in my stash that complimented the muted colors in the front, and they work perfectly together.

My meandering design makes me think of the flight pattern of a bumblebee; I just sorta' whip around all over the place and hope I can fill the spaces as evenly across the quilt as possible.

Baby quilts are so satisfying to do because they are small and are so quickly finished. In about an hour, I had this one done and ready to remove from the machine.

After cutting away all the excess batting and backing, I was able to create my binding strips from the backing leftovers. I love that. It helps reduce the leftover scraps. Lord knows I already have enough scraps! 

Done and ready to gift! Hopefully the little guy and his sweet momma will love on this quilt and wear it out as he grows.

Here's both a review of the fabric I used for the quilt as well as the details on making the blocks.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. Please give yourself a break! You bought a new home and have been so busy! I am amazed when I read your blog at how much you do. You help me aspire to get more done, so please realize how much I look up to you. I have been working on getting lots of UFO's done myself. It feels so good to see finished quilt tops lined up to take to my quilter. I pat myself on the back each time. Yes, I cannot die for decades because I still have too much stash, but one step at a time. It's all good because life has so much joy in the doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Donna, I cannot thank you enough for your kind words! It has been an unusual year, so I should try to cut myself some slack, of course. The pat on the back is well-deserved! Finishing UFOs is a wonderfully satisfying feeling. Hey --- let's grow old together, and continue to keep each other accountable!!

      Delete
  2. Baby Henry's quilt is lovely. The fabrics are sweet; love the colourways. I always find a meandering quilting pattern skipping all over a quilt to be restful to the eyes. There will be many snuggles under this sweet quilt, Jayne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kim. That meandering quilting is my go-to. I want to teach myself some more advanced options, but I'm not there, yet.. I hope they do lots and lots of snuggling!!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!