Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Friday, February 11, 2011

Returning to Quilts

In what seems like ages, I've managed to find some time to stitch, to cut, to plan and to finish! Yes, I finished the top for Dressmaker's Quilt.

It was such a fun quilt to make, even with the trouble I had working on those log cabin blocks for the border. I have always loved scrappy quilts, and this is a scrap lovers delight. It was so much fun to work with so many fabrics!! Everything here is fabric already existing in my stash --BRAVO!!
I took it with me to the quilting circle meeting this morning; a couple of the girls held it up for me to photgraph. I will press it and lay it out on my bed to get a bit nicer view of it. This is still fun to look at, don't you think??

So, I am glad to have stuck with it, even with the log cabin woes I experienced. This is a really satisfying finish.

Here is what quilt friend Terry had to show this morning. She said she bought the quilt top at an antique store years ago. She had a woman from her quilt guild hand quilt it for her. The ocatagons are all made of feed sacks, and the entire octagon-pieced top is appliqued to the green border. Interesting. Terry had a perfect green print in her stash which she used for the backing and today she was stitching down the binding.

Next up for me is a quilt called Long Road Home by Bonnie Blue Quilts. Here is what it will look like:

I've got it mostly all cut out. It's been a boatload of cutting, that's for sure!!

This looks all neat and tidy, but those stacks of 1.5-inch strips took a loonnggg time to cut. I am eager to start on it! After I finished cutting all of this out, I remembered that those darn log cabin blocks were made from 1.5-inch strips, and I had a ga-zillion of those left over!! I probably could have eliminated the excessive cutting if I'd remembered earlier.

One can always use a supply of 1.5-inch strips, right? I shall keep these handy for projects that await me.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Jayne I love your quilt!!! Love it! And Long Road Home...be still my heart. We have very similar tastes!

Stephanie said...

What a gorgeous quilt! Congratulations on your finish. Those warm colors should help in these cold Ohio winters.

Lori said...

I love your scrappy quilt! What a great way to use up a lot of your stash.

Your new project will be wonderful as well.!! Yay for a new start and a finish!!