Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Well-Timed Surprises

This morning I received an email from Thelma at Cupcakes and Daisies telling me that I'd won a give-away on her blog, Eventide, a pattern by one of my favorite quilt designers, Carrie Nelson.

How nice. I am thrilled and very appreciative.

For also today, I had to do something really difficult, and needed a pick-me-up. You see, my grandmother's, (yes, my grandmother, age 94) little Jack Russell terrier named Casey, had to be put down this morning, and I was called in to take her to the vet. I was not all that attached to Casey ( I generally prefer bigger dogs), but she was such a good companion for my grandmother, and kept her company. Casey had just gotten old, though, and was failing in a lot of ways; it was my mother and aunt's decision to go ahead with it, after talking to Grandma earlier, and because Mom is laid up with her dislocated elbow (see last post), I was called in to assist.

After it was all over, Grandma was a bit weepy, and so was I, to be honest. It'll be an adjustment for Grandma not having her little 4-legged friend around, but there was quite a bit of not-so-pleasant work in taking care of an aging dog, and Grandma knew that the time had come. Grandma is having her cremated, and the funeral home does this (!) - her ashes will be spread around the tree where she barked at squirrels and stood sentinel over the backyard when tied out.

RIP, Casey.

Here's a sweet video of the importance of dogs to we humans.

So you see, Thelma's email was perfect for helping offset a difficult situation. I feel I should have a picture of a wonderful quilt to post here today. But alas, I have no new finishes; I am one side-border away from having my Dressmaker's Quilt top finished. I'll post a pic of that ASAP.

1 comment:

Sinta Renee said...

Oh goodness... that is such sad news! What an awful trip you had to make! I can't imagine what I will be like when that day comes for my 4 legged family member! I love eventide... I might have to just pick that up for myself, to go with Carrie's new fabric line that has been sitting on my shelf, waiting for a project to happen!
A big hug to your g-ma for me!