Quilting Fun


While I love the satisfaction of finishing a quilt, it isn't the only way to have fun with quilting. Fun also comes from the great outings with girlfriends, shopping expeditions with Grandma, or just sitting in my "thoughtful spot" chair perusing magazines and books. The thrill of the next project waiting just there on the horizon...

Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Third and Final Thrifty Finished

The experiment has concluded. I started with a picture of a quilt. It was quite simple in its design, so I knew I could make it without a pattern. Next, I found 4 fabrics in my stash with which to make this quilt. I just randomly decided that my pieced block would consist of 3.5" units; the rest would be built on that base size (used in the 4-patches). Here is that quilt, which I dubbed Victorian Roses, because that is the name of the large floral print.


The one thing I did not consider when deciding on color placement was the chain that runs across the quilt. Mine doesn't show up because I used fabric that was too light. I wish I'd used the darker blue instead, but that's water under the bridge now, isn't it? I made this quilt back in May, and I already have a back set aside for it as it awaits a quilting date.


While making this quilt, I had the brainchild to do another one with a base unit of 3" blocks for the 4-patches. I was just curious as to how much difference there'd be by reducing the size of the base unit. So, I scrounged around in the stash to see what I had available. In the mean time, I was searching around to see if I could locate a more proper name for this design in some of my quilt books. That's how I found "Thrifty," the name that was used in an old book of quilt patterns I have.

Here is a portion of version #2, Thrifty, using the 3"base unit. I worked on it at Quilt Camp back in mid-to late-June.



The burgundy floral is Butterfly Garden by Kansas Troubles from several years ago. I did get the darker fabric in the chaining spot this time, so the finished quilt does have that blue trailing down through the blocks.

I still wanted to do one more, this time using units of 2.5" for the 4-patches. So again, I went digging through the stash to see what I could come up with. That is what I've been working on at various times throughout this month.

I showed you the fabric a while back, and then again a few days ago. I'll show you again....


That dramatic leafy/paisley is a Windham fabric by Nancy Gere, which I think I bought in 2010. Washington's Legency, I believe is its name. I just got the borders on it last night, and here she is!



It's a pretty, sun-filled day here in Ohio, so the color is toned down a bit by the bright rays. I am quite happy with the red chain, and I am least happy with that blue-ish teal in the pieced blocks. It doesn't work as well as I'd anticipated. That said, however, now that I have the dark red and dark leafy borders attached, I find it more appealing than before.

That's my experiment, then. Three quilts all using the same pattern, but gradually reducing the size of the smallest unit each time. I think I like the 2.5" pattern the best.

Happy Quilting, Friends!
 

2 comments:

Silvana said...

Todas son muy bellas!

QuiltSue said...

I am so glad I don't have to chose which is my favourite - they are all great and looks so different when done in the different colours.