Sunday, January 8, 2012

I Love January!

There is just so much promise in beginning a new year, don't you think? I've got lists upon lists, and they grow each day. I've started some new projects and am planning many more.

I wonder why we don't like Mondays. It's the same concept, isn't it, as January? Beginning a new week as opposed to a new year? Well, I was never a big fan of Mondays when I worked, but I don't mind them a bit now that I'm retired! :-)


Yesterday Quilt Sue and I held our first Lone Star Quilt Along. She does a very nice wrap-up on her blog today. Check it out, and then consider joining us for the fun! It's like being in a sewing circle, but not having to attend any meetings! Just work on your Lone Star, sign in using the Mr. Linky on both my site and Sue's, take a few pictures of your work and share them on the first Saturday of the month! Next month, yours truly will hostess our get-together; the date will be Saturday, Feb. 4. I'm looking forward to seeing all the progress we will have made by then!


I did want to mention one quick thing related to the quilt-along. The book I am using is an oldie (1989), but I imagine that it would be available in libraries. I also looked on the internet and found that while Amazon doesn't have it, they do list sellers who have used copies available - inexpensive, too! I found it, as well, on ebay, but it was somewhat pricier. Several quilters had mentioned that they were looking for patterns that showed strip-piecing methods, and this one does.

I offer that info just as a bit of FYI to those out there searching for a book/pattern.

What else has this new year brought to my sewing room? In an earlier post I referenced the doll quilt along that Lori at Humble Quilts hosts each January. This year's is called Pink Lemonade, and it's a real beauty! I have pulled the fabrics I want to use; now I need to press and cut. Last year, I made Midnight Stars with Lori, and the year before that I made Cheddar and Crackers. The beauty of making doll quilts is the speed with which they can be finished. I get to use super-small pieces, but I am not trying to make a bed-size quilt with them! A perfect combination: small pieces in a small quilt. I love it!

I spent the better part of Friday working on drawstring book bags for my twin nieces who are 4 now.

This project was featured in the BH&G magazine, Quilts and More. Either summer or fall, 2010. I can't wait to give them to the girls. They attend a Montessori (sp?) school 3 or 4 days per week, and are just as smart as can be. They will be thrilled to get these bags, I think. I plan to include a book, a box of Crayons, and a tablet in each one.

Yesterday I prepped a backing for a t-shirt quilt; it's now ready to take to the quilter's. Today I want to cut and attach the borders for my French General Stars. It was supposed to be finished by the end of 2011 - the center was, but not the borders, dang it! (I am still going to count it as a finish for 2011, though.) I'll get pics of those to share in the coming days.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

6 comments:

  1. Lovely bags they are going to love them!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that since I stopped working I often don't know just what day of the week it is, so Monday's don't bother me! It's true though, we look forward to New Year for a fresh start, but not to Monday as the start of the week. Perhaps we need to rename Monday as New Week Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have that book tucked away somewhere. I'll need to pull it out and flip through it. I had a few pages tagged for future projects.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those pictures are really clear on how to do the strip pieced method.

    As for Mondays, I believe they are bad because they are usually an end to your personal time regardless of how you spend it and a return to the work week. Now if we all loved our jobs as much as we love quilting... Now that would be different.

    I'm with Sue though if my routine stops, I'm inclined to simply forget what day of the week it is.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the Lone Star Quilt Along (although I'm not actually doing it). I have taught and made so many long star quilts, I've lost tract. My personal favorite is Eleanor Burn's Quilt In A Day book called Radiant Stars. Excellent strip piecing method!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quilting Queen, even though you won't be making a lone star with Sue and me, you could still post pictures of your quilts on our monthly first Saturday get-togethers. I would love to see them, as I am sure many would.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!