Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Handwork - More 4-Patches

Some quilters and seamstresses have a hard time sewing in the car, but I have never minded it. I actually have stitched quite a few projects on the road.

We were away for the weekend, so I took a ziplock bag of 2.5" squares - just in case, you know - for any down time on our journey. Finally, on the way home I dug it out and proceeded to make the 4-patch blocks you see below.


Eleven blocks done on the road. Pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. In the process of straightening up my sewing room, I find bits of fabric that can be cut into 2.5" squares, so new stuff is going in all the time. It definitely increases the scrappy factor in these little blocks. I am still considering options on how to use them. My count is up to around 140 now. I could probably make that many more from the squares I have cut.

The trip to Belmont County was wonderful. DH, our very excellent driver, said he thought it was a 9.8 on a 10-point scale. That's pretty good coming from one of our group who is an in-law in this family. Our travel party consisted of the following: Great Uncle John, Great Aunt Nina, their daughter Marilyn, my mother Jeannie, my sister Sandy and her husband Tim, and my brother Alan and his wife Beth, myself and husband Kevin. A merry party of 10 in a 15-passenger van for a 2-day trip to visit old family homes, workplaces, schools and cemeteries. We heard a lot of stories from the elder members of the group. We took tons of pictures. We did a lot of laughing.

My brother Alan and our great uncle John.
My brother-in-law Tim and my husband Kevin.
Albert George house; my mother's family lived near here when she was a little girl; Grandpa worked on the farm.
Uncle John standing in front of the house where his family lived; referred to as the Taber Farm.

My great-grandparents; my mother's paternal grandparents.

My other great-grandparents; my mother's maternal grandparents.

I am already getting my stories mixed up, so I really need to make myself sit down and get the material written out. We said we needed a tape recorder for all the tales and anecdotes that were shared. I will count on my siblings and, of course, Mom, to help me keep my facts straight.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!