Thursday, March 14, 2019

Cultural Experience - Paris Exhibit - Part 1

If you are here to see quilting pictures and read quilt-talk, I will not be covering anything of the sort today. I'm offering up some bona fide culture today. (You can bail out now, if you like.)

About two weeks ago, I joined the ladies in our book club for an outing to the Cincinnati Art Museum as a special exhibit called "Paris 1900" opened. It is a magnificent show, and I definitely would go again. The pieces selected for this exhibit include some of the most famous artists of the day as well as depictions of various aspects of Parisian life at or near the turn of the 20th century.

I took some photos of particular pieces that caught my eye, and have whittled the number down to share here. I will add details when I know them. Some of my pictures are less than stellar, but you will get a thorough flavor of the show. Let me add that the exhibit is huge, so my few pictures here leave many fantastic pieces out. Some were hard to capture on camera because of lighting or crowds or reflections. I know there were several I wanted to photograph, but I just could not get a proper picture that did justice to the piece.

Because I took so many pictures, my plan is to divide the material into parts. Today's part consists of paintings of both cityscapes and landscapes. Occasionally people appear, but largely, the focus is on the location. I suspect that clicking on the pictures will help to get a clearer, closer look at the details in each piece.


An Evening at Le Pre' Catelan (1909) by Henri Gervex (1852-1929) ~ This was the first picture I saw as I entered the exhibit. It is massive in size, and the way the painter created the shimmering lights of the famous restaurant is, as the description says, "particularly seductive." When standing close to it, I was able to study the striking beauty of the street and building, the stunning dresses, hairstyles, flowers, decorations - all in all it is quite sumptuous.


The Pont Royal and the Pavillon de Flore (1903) by Camille Pissarro (1830-1903) ~ Impressionist paintings like this are what I think of when I think of French artists. This was done in the last year of Pissarro's life. The description points out the "focus on the effects of light and water."


Fine Weather at Pern (Ushant Island) (1901) by Henry Moret (1856-1013) ~ Again, I was taken with how the artist depicts light; the description focused on how the artist painted alongside Paul Gauguin and other young artists in Brittany/Pont Aven.


Fall in Honfleur (1906) by Othon Friesz (1879-1949) ~ This painting shows the ever more radical use of color and abstraction by young artists. Apparently there was a break from the traditionalists who were "offended by the lively palettes and free brushwork" of artists such as Matisse and Derain. Critics called these artists "les fauves (the wild beasts)."


The Promenade (1897) by Henri-Edmond Cross (1856-1910) ~ Nothing was noted on the description other than this is a color lithograph. I was captivated by the manipulation of brushstrokes and how they were applied to create the various elements in the painting. I suppose 'promenade' could refer to the boats, the trees, or the women - or perhaps all three.


The Statue of Liberty by Bartholdi in the Workshop of the Gaget Foundry, Rue de Chazelles (1884) by Victor Dargaud (1850-1921) ~ I was fascinated by this painting when I recognized the subject and then when I read the description, I was further intrigued. Here are some highlights "...the foundry rented a large plot of land near its Parisian workshop to assemble this extraordinary statue, mounting thousands of copper sheets to a metal armature designed by Gustave Eiffel...When the Statue of Liberty was completed, throngs of people came to see it before it was disassembled and shipped to New York." The people pictured in the foreground are all gazing up at the imposing statue.


The Grande Palais and the Petit Palais Under Construction (1899) by Georges Souillet (1861-1957) ~ The two buildings under construction here were built for the International  Exposition of 1900. This painting depicts the right bank of the Seine, near the Champs-Elysees and opposite the Esplanade de Invalides. If and when I ever return to Paris, I will be sure to observe this spot - hopefully from the location of this view - to see what it looks like today.


Pont Alexandre III (1917) by Auguste Leroux (1871-1954) ~ Since there is so much to note in this piece, I'm just going to share practically the entire description. "The bridge that connected the Petit Palais and the Grand Palais to the Esplanade des Invalides was built for the 1900 International Exposition. It commemorated the recent alliance between France and Russia and was named after Czar Alexander III...With a single steel arch spanning more than 350 feet, the bridge was an extraordinary technological achievement. Its rich sculptural decoration was particularly well received. This view from the right bank shows the two Renommes (allegorical figures of Fame) by the sculptor Emmanuel Fremiet atop the pylons on either side of the bridge. The silhouette of the Eiffel Tower is visible in the background.


La Place Clichy (1896) by Edmond Grandjean (1844-1908) ~ The exhibit was categorized to help viewers understand the significance of both the time period and the individual pieces. This painting appeared in a section devoted to transportation, and with that in mind, onlookers can see all the common methods at the turn of the 20th century. The description explained that the first subway line opened for the International Exposition in July of 1900. This painting "depicts a Parisian woman confidently riding a bicycle through the traffic of pedestrians, carriages and omnibuses."


Nighttime Festivities at the International Exposition of 1889, Under the Eiffel Tower (1889) by George Roux (1855-1929) ~ This description was full of interesting history. "The International Exposition of 1889, planned to mark the hundredth anniversary of the French Revolution, celebrated progress in science and technology. A tower that was nearly one thousand feet tall, built by the architect Gustave Eiffel, was the centerpiece of the Exposition. Here, the painter and illustrator George Roux shows a crowd assembled beneath the tower to view the illuminated fountains along the Champ-de-Mars. The central dome of the Exposition and the roof of the Palais de Machines are clearly visible in the background. Unlike the Eiffel Tower, which would remain in Paris and become its preeminent symbol, the dome and the palace were demolished soon after the Exposition."

Enough for today. In a day or two, I will share paintings in which the subjects are people. After that, I will group all the dimensional art - sculptures, pottery, jewelry, furniture, clothing, and miscellaneous ephemera.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!