Sunday, March 31, 2019

End of March Round-Up

Dang! Where in the world did this month go?! We bemoaned the length of our short month (February) and now here we had 31 days in March and they have flown right by. I'm not sure I understand how that can happen. *scratching my head*

Last night I took to my sewing room to listen to an audio book - Louise Penny's A Fatal Grace - and begin a new embroidery project. For ages, I mean like 15 years or more, I have had a plain white denim jacket that I always believed would look way better with embroidered embellishment.



I have started by using the red pearl cotton floss I bought in Key West, and I (so far) am totally making this up as I go. I have no plan in mind, nor any pattern to reference. I have looked at pictures on Pinterest and Instagram for inspiration. I will be winging it all the way. I hope that as I get more comfortable with some of my stitches, I will be more experimental - maybe even fancy - with my designs and colors. I figure this will be a long-term project, but would be able to wear it even if I decide I still want to add more to it later.


Truly, I am going to have fun with this project. It is a perfectly wearable jacket that has been hanging in the closet all these years! So what's to lose? I wasn't wearing it, and with the fun embroidery on it, I think I will want to wear it. That's the plan, anyway.

Thus far, I have outlined the collar and the pocket flaps. Two little flowers are on each corner of the collar. What next? Change colors? Try out some different stitches? I will keep you updated as I progress.

So let's look at the March collage. This is the first one I can recall making that doesn't have a single person pictured. I hope that is not significant of anything, but it does seem odd that I'm featuring places and projects in this collage.


Top Row: My little poison green and navy churn dash table topper, the poison green checkerboard, and margaritas on our first night in Key West; Middle Row: the pool/deck area of our KW hotel, crocuses in our yard; March blocks for the Quilter's Planner quiltalong; Bottom Row: my finished embroidery project which was a birthday gift from dear friend Sharon, daffodils in our woods, and a totally improv embroidery project, the white denim jacket.

I am linking up with Kathy's Quilts and her Slow Sunday Stitching. I tell you, I love slow stitching with an audiobook playing; it makes me feel doubly productive! My usual slow stitching is that Lake Effect EPP, but I have favored working on these embroidery projects lately. I promise I am NOT forgetting about Lake Effect! *grin*

Have a great week everyone!
Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Your jacket is going to look so nice and new. Louise Penny is my favorite author. I love her Gamache series. Have a great sewing week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun idea to put some stitches on a jacket!
    But don't forget about Lake Effect!!!! LOL

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!