Tuesday, March 5, 2019

My Little Churn Dash Quilt

Late last night I stitched the final few seams on my little quilt - the navy churn dashes set on a field of poison green. I made it up to imitate a quilt made about 5 years ago by my friend Sheryll. Read more here.

The picture was taken before I had had a chance to trim it down. I purposely made the setting and corner triangles a bit large so that I would have any wiggle room in case I needed it. The final size is right at 23" wide and 34" long. The individual blocks finish at just a smidge under 4".  I used triangle paper called Thangles size 1.25 and the little HSTs do come out just at that (mostly).

The photo above is a little mountain of block parts ready to be pressed. All the individual rows were sewn together and I was about to press them in preparation for sewing the rows together to make the blocks. Seeing how much work goes into the piecing is sometimes overwhelming. I want it to be done right now! Patience is definitely a virtue for the quilter. I do enjoy the process, and have to check myself when I find myself wanting to race through it all.

And here they are - 24 freshly made, pressed and starched churn dash blocks that come to 4.5" unfinished. I was really in an efficient assembly line groove, let me tell you!

The fabrics used in this little quilt all came from my stash. The green is from Jo Morton's collection from years ago called Lucinda's Needle. The navy is from a line called Remember the Ladies by Brackman and Thompson. I have had both pieces for quite awhile. The neutrals in the churn dash blocks were 2 FQs, but there was no selvage identifying them.

So there ya' go - something besides a 9-patch came off my machine this week. Feels pretty darn good. Now I must turn my attention to those pillow cases mentioned in yesterday's post. And, I have to wear my teacher hat for awhile this week, too, as I have another round of essays to read and grade.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!