Monday, August 1, 2022

Hello August!


Recently I had the pleasure of reading The Power of Moments by Chip and Dan Heath. Actually, it was audio-reading, but that's beside the point. (Why do I always feel obligated to clarify that listening is not reading?) This book struck such a chord in me that I listened twice.

This book validates my tendency to treat each new month as a mini-version of a new year and its accompanying resolutions. One section in The Power of Moments is devoted to explaining our need to start fresh and slough off the old with brand new plans for a brand new year - or month, in my case. I found so much good information in this book and have recommended it to several family members and friends. One good friend (actually she recommended it to me! Thanks, Pam!) has indicated that she plans to gift this book to newlyweds and graduates. Smart idea! It's just a really good examination of how we can make our lives richer and more full of memorable moments.

This new month is screaming out two things to me: 

1. start something new!

2. long arm some quilts!

Before getting too far into what I have on the August agenda, let me first do a wrap-up of July. I tell ya, I had a great month, but so very little of it was spent sewing and quilting! We were on the go, enjoying family and friends. 

Yesterday, we hosted 15 here for the 4th annual Honnold Bash. My DH's side of the family is so spread out, and our opportunities for get-togethers are few. We sorta' live in a centrally located spot for many of them to come here, so we began having this reunion in 2018. We had to skip the pandemic year, but have continued with our late-July bash since then. Above are our 2 daughters Erin and Emma, and Kevin's sister, Kellie. 

My July collage contains very few sewing highlights, and many more family fun highlights. Ahhh, the fun of summer!

Row 1: The finished re-fresh of the front room; we took out the 30-year-old carpet and put down wood flooring. My little patriotic vignette to salute the 4th of July, features a pillow I made in May. Niece Mary Jean came to sew with me and went home with a new stash of yarn and needles, since she prefers crocheting and knitting.

Row 2: Niece Anna Rose, twin of MJ, actually did sew at the sewing machine, and ended up getting her own machine. She had really taken to sewing and as an aspiring actress, hopes to sew costumes and accessories. The center pic is from Anna Maria Island, where I vacationed for a week with 4 girlfriends. Another niece, Abby, welcomed her first child, Boone, on July 20.

Row 3: My one flimsy finish was my Double Irish Chain. Technically, it is still waiting to have borders attached. I plan to do those tomorrow when Sharon is here to sew. The middle bottom pic is from yesterday's Honnold Bash - niece Julie and her DH C.C. enjoy visiting on the screened porch. My final pic is of Lake Effect, which I have been feeling a strong desire to lay out in full so I could see my progress. Gosh! I have more done on it than I realized! This gives me a very strong nudge to prioritize this quilt more than I have lately.

What will August bring? You know I have some plans. I will work on pulling some ideas together and share those with you tomorrow.

I hope your new month brings you happy, carefree days and lots of sunshine! Let's make some memorable moments!

Happy Quilting, Friends!






No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!