Friday, June 14, 2024

Pinwheels

Who doesn’t love a freebie? Ranking right up there with finishing a quilt, having a free quilt made from excess bits is an exceedingly pleasing accomplishment. I believe this unplanned and totally adorable little pinwheel quilt is about as cute as can be for a freebie. 
 

My freebie quilt began way back in April at the quilt retreat. While making the sashing units for Paris Flea Market Find, I decided not to waste those cutaway portions of the flip-and-turn corners. I had a gazillion of them by the time I had all the triangles made. If you click here you can read up on the initial phase of this quilt. I sew my seam for the second HST while I am doing the original seam. My seams are quite narrow, but I try to make them as uniform as possible so I don't have to trim. Most of mine were close enough that I didn't have many needing trimming.


It was a fun few sewing sessions getting all the HSTs pressed and turned into pinwheels. I quite enjoyed the process, and was determined that I would make enough for a nice-sized mini quilt or even a baby quilt. I really didn't want any leftover pinwheels, so I had to piece some setting squares that would ensure that all pinwheels were used. Easily accomplished.

Looking closely, you surely will be able to see those pieced setting blocks but I feel certain that once this is quilted and laundered, the crinkly nature of a quilt will mask all that. I am just thrilled that I used so much of the leftover fabrics of the original quilt.

A handful of pinwheels are made with the florals from the border fabric on PFMF, so I sprinkled them throughout the quilt for random pops of variety. I selected my border for this pinwheel quilt out of my ever-diminishing stash of 3 Sisters fabrics. This is Sanctuary.


This little quilt measures 36.5 x 39.5. I expect to get it quilted straight away and put it aside for the little granddaughter coming in September. This will be the first for her; yes, several more are planned. *smile*

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

1 comment:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!