Tuesday, June 25, 2024

9-Patches On Point

It turns out that changing mid-quilt from making a straight-set quilt to an on-point quilt wasn't as troublesome as I thought it might be. It's been tons of fun seeing this transformation.

Here are some pictures of what I first made - a straight set section 10 blocks wide and 24 blocks long. It's hard taking a decent picture of something so long and narrow, but you can get the gist of it, right?


At this point, I decided I'd rather have an on-point set, so I wondered if it would be terribly complicated to switch things up this far into the construction process. The answer is no. It was just a matter of making the angled parts which I would attach to each narrow end. Below is one end. The other looks just the same, only angled the other direction.

Attaching these triangle units to the straight set was easy and before long, I had a big hunk of this quilt completed. Seeing this laid out on the bed is making me very eager to get back to the machine and finish it off.

Look at how big this is! After adding each small angled unit for the ends, I topped out that larger, upper part to form a corner of the quilt top.

The very rough drawing on the photo above outlines the original section I made before making my design choice. You can see, I hope, the 3 sections that have been added. One small triangle section to the top left (not shown in the photo), another small section to the bottom right, and a larger triangle section to the top right.

I turned the quilt the opposite direction to see how it fit. The same. So that means I have a square quilt in progress here. I will put the corner triangles on this last long row, then  begin closing down to the final corner of the quilt. (I'm sure this is not very well explained; my technical writing skills need to be honed no doubt.)

The bed shown here is a queen size, and the photo above shows plenty of overhang. Ultimately, this quilt will be intended for a king-size bed, so I think I am doing okay as far as size is concerned. If my calculations are correct, the quilt will be 22x22 blocks on the diagonal and measure 93" square. I'll get this part made and decide at that time on whether or not borders will be needed.

Changing this quilt so dramatically has been a lot of fun. Initially I took it as a challenge, but as I did that first angled unit, I knew that it was easily doable. I hope to have a finish on this very soon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

2 comments:

  1. I can see how this would work. I thought you had all 3 long sections of straight sets sewn. Your quilt is going to be beautiful! I love 9 patches!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much better on the diagonal! I didn't put a border on it cuz I had an abundance of nine patches and it was already big. Lol. Repro has a new sew along. It's little stars and only 23 inches or so, but would be lovely in full size and I still have Lots of little sqs. I've just about talked myself into it.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!