Saturday, July 18, 2015

Fun Class

The beginner's sewing/quilting class I held on Thursday was loads of fun, and in my humble opinion, a huge success. I had only two students, but for the first time around, I think that was about all I could have handled. I learned a few things for next time, and will be able to handle a few more students when I give it another try.

And I will say here that in the technical sense, this was more a beginning piecing class than a quilting class. As we actually did no quilting stitches at all, and did learn the basics of chain piecing, that is a more accurate depiction. We also learned about rotary cutters, rulers, mats, consistent quarter-inch seams, and pressing vs. ironing. What a lot!

Here are the pillows that my inaugural students went home with. First, Annette used these gorgeous sand and blue colors to create a "beachy" feel. After just returning from a vacation in Florida, I think she might still be in beach mode.


Sandy's pillow, below, has a romantic and feminine look. We had to do some finagling to get Sandy's together just right, but in the end it turned out beautifully.

As an instructor, I need to remember to find out just how "beginning" everyone is - while some people think they are beginners, in fact, they may be more skilled than they realize. If anything, they are more reluctant or unsure than novice. I hope the girls had a good time, and felt productive. I sure had an awesome day, and wonder why I haven't done this sooner!

I will be planning future classes, for sure. I have sizable list of names of people who wanted to come Thursday, but couldn't schedule it. Doing another makes sense, and after all, practice makes perfect.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!