Thursday, July 9, 2015

A Makeover

The chair at my sewing machine is old. It used to be part of a kitchen table set - those vintage 50's styles with metal legs, laminate tables and plastic seats. We never owned the entire set; maybe one other chair, now long gone. How we came to own this chair, I don't even recall. I know that we've had it for most of our marriage, which is 36 years as of last week. And it was definitely used when it came to us. Maybe we bought it at an auction or a yard sale. Not really important for this post, however. It was originally a red chair, as evidenced by the tips (one of which is missing); DH and I covered it in this brown a l-o-n-g time ago.

I decided a month or so back that this chair was ugly and needed a makeover. Also, I was tired of "sticking" to the plastic seat.

I took it out to DH's workbench to sand off the rust, which was plentiful.

After wiping the dust off, I headed out to the driveway to spray everything with primer. I repeated with a spray of paint in a copper color.

I have finished the seat. I added a layer of fresh batting along with this leafy Westminster fabric from my stash. The seat is attached, thanks to DH's handy staple gun skills. Now I must go to the hardware store to finish the back. I need some pretty upholstery tacks. I am very eager to finish this chair and return it to my sewing room.

Now, if you want to check my list from Monday, this is item # 11.

My previous post about the Snowbird Triangles is item # 9.

Proof that if I have a list I am more focused on finishing things.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. I love your new seat fabric. It feels so good to finish a project that has been on the list for a long time. Maybe you've inspired me to do the same!!


Feedback on my posts is always welcome!