I pulled my 6.5-inch-already-made block. I explained yesterday how that it was really closer to 6-3/8 inches, but I figured I could make it work. I can't explain why this look so red, because it is in reality burgundy. I did some photo editing, but never could get the color to look true.
Next, I had to cut a border, so that is where the Paula Barnes red floral (mentioned yesterday) came in.
This was to be a border around the center block. Here we go!
This was simple, easy and fun, so I kept going. Lori's next step has us creating a pile of little half-square triangles. I used scraps from the leftovers of Carson's Courtyard, which I made a couple of months ago. Because CC was a rather dark quilt, I need to add in some lights.
Now, the next step is to create strips of triangles which will be attached all around the block. If everything is measuring correctly, I would need 2 strips of 8 HSTs, and 2 strips of 10 HSTs. However, because I was trying to "fudge" with a somewhat smaller original block, I only needed 9 instead of 10. It seems to look okay, at this stage, so I am plowing ahead.
After the row of triangles, we are to add another solid row, and this time I chose a reproduction gold-ish yellow. Again, I am unhappy with the color in the picture, and I just don't get what I am doing wrong. (Maybe I should use a regular camera instead of my phone.)
This is where I stopped, but the next step is to add another row of triangles, somewhat bigger than those in the first row. I will try to get those made and added soon.
This is a fun and happy little block, and I love the scrappiness of it. Scrap quilts - there's just something about them that seems homey and loved. Maybe because our grandmothers made scrappy quilts from dresses and shirts out of necessity, we have a special fondness for them.
Happy Quilting, Friends!