Saturday, March 14, 2015

A Finshed Top - Snowbird Stars

Rainy days are for finishing quilt tops, I suppose. That is how I spent my Friday. The day was wet, wet, wet - at least an inch of rain on already soaked and thawing ground. Water everywhere.

So I sewed.

And this is the most unbelievable part - the finished quilt measures exactly what the pattern says it should. Yessirreee! I was super-diligent about my cutting and construction, and the results are very good. Precision pays off.





Snowbird, a fabric by Laundry Basket Quilts (Moda) caught my attention from the very first time I saw it. Sherrie's mom, Pat, made a quilt using this fabric at last June's quilt camp. By the end of the week, I had purchased 1-yard cuts of 5 fabrics, and had absolutely no clue as to what I would do with it. I just knew I needed to have some Snowbird! After discussing options with Sharon (she was smitten, too), we came up with the idea of making the same pattern, each to our own liking to see the variations.

My stars are all random centers and points on a neutral background. My setting squares are all dots. My setting triangles are the lightest floral and the border is the darkest floral. That border is what makes it a success, in my opinion. If I could re-do one thing, I would use a fabric with more beige or light blue in the setting triangles, as it seems those triangles get sorta' lost. But this is fine. I won't change it a bit (Hindsight, you know.)

Now, what will I get busy on next? UFO challenge projects? Finishing other UFOs, not on the challenge? Start something new? Tidy up the sewing room? Putter?

I just can't decide.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

4 comments:

  1. Well done. This is a beautiful quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so stunning! Did you ever post a picture of Sharon's version of the quilt? I'm still new to the quilting world, and would love to see how 1 pattern, 1 line of fabric, and 2 quilters can each interpret it. I am also an avid follower of your blog now! :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!