Sunday, February 21, 2016

My Thimbleberries Parade

Awhile back, I mentioned that Lynette Jensen of Thimbleberries fame had come out of retirement to host a BOM project. In that same post, which you can read here, I mentioned that over the years I had made many, many quilts using Thimbleberries patterns. I think I will take this opportunity to share a few of them.

Meet Cottage Flower. It is a big quilt, and the thing I remember most about this quilt is that I took forever selecting fabrics. I had the floral for the outer border first, and then I collected the rest of the fabrics from there. Another thing I recall is the sawtooth inner border intimidated me. I'd never done one before; how would I ever get it to fit? Obviously, it did, thankfully.



My grandmother hand quilted it for me. The designs are some of her classic patterns - the cable in the borders and the straight lines in the alternate blocks - these were her go-to designs.

Next up is Winter Lily, another quilt that Grandma quilted for me. I began this quilt at Frienzie Sherrie's house the first year she hosted our Veterans' Day all-nighter.  My green is not the bright Christmas-y green; I selected a duller hunter green. Likewise, my red is burgundy as opposed to bright cherry red. I don't know why I made these choices, but I am still happy with them.




The remaining Thimbleberries quilts have all been shown on the blog before, but I've never pulled them together like this.

Tulip wall hanging; machine quilted.
Confetti Stars 2.0; quilt top
September Stars; quilt top
Nine-Patch Criss Cross; quilt top
Confetti Stars; quilt top


Little Heart Wall Hanging; Machine Quilted.

Sampler; machine quilted
Trail Mix; machine quilted.
Nine-Patch Criss Cross; hand quilted by Grandma.
Fall Foliage; quilt top
Peppermint Pinwheel (the one in the book was a red and white Christmas quilt); quilt top

Snowflake Star; quilt top

Hourglass; quilt top

 Well. that's enough for now. It's been rather nice going back through pictures to see these quilts again. It does confirm that I do indeed love to make quilts using Thimbleberries patterns.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


2 comments:

  1. A beautiful collection of quilts and how lovely to have had some of them quilted by your Grandmother, very special.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!