Monday, February 29, 2016

Resolution Review

Happy Leap Day!! We get an extra day in 2016 and I think I will use it to clarify something I wrote in yesterday's post. My final paragraph yesterday might have come across a bit cryptically for readers, and so it seems a good day to explain my resolution for 2016.

Because I have dozens of unquilted tops, aka flimsies, in my sewing room closet, I decided that I would use this year to select 12 - one per month - and get them quilted. It just seemed such a shame to keep them closed away where no one, especially me, is enjoying them! Below is an old picture of my quilt closet. Quite a few more have been added since this picture was taken. And some that I see hanging here are now quilted and finished.  *hooray*



The January selection was my strippy French-inspired quilt called "Vincent." You can read more precise details here.

I finished it right at the end of January, and actually, I think I was binding it in early February. Oh well, it is still the January quilt. Now let's see what I have chosen for my February quilt.

Sixteen-patch Scrappy Stars will be my February finish. I came up with this design all on my own, although I have seen this sashing treatment done before. All my pieced blocks are leftover 2.5-inch squares that have been hand-stitched together. I machine pieced the sashing and cornerstones, as well as the borders. You can read additional details on this quilt by clicking here

Decisions about the March quilt will likely be made based on the ease with which I can locate backing fabric. I don't mind piecing a back, but I would have to do a rather involved "dig" (in the archaeological sense) through my stash. Here are a couple of candidates.

Possibility #1: my recently made red and white Ohio Star quilt. It would be an easy quilt for which to find backing fabric.

Possibility #2: Hourglass Quilt - made ages ago. I think I could readily find good backing fabrics for this, as well. What makes me love-love-love this quilt is the awesome borders I used. Here's a close up. Aren't they fun?


Thankfully, I don't need to decide right this minute; I guess we will have to wait and see which one ends up going to Terry's in March.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


3 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, you have so many amazing and gorgeous flimsies! I'm so glad you're going to get them quilted because they look way better out in the open instead of your closet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a cartload of flimsies just like you. My friends are aghast when I show them. Just to counter, I checked how many I have had quilted and the number was #75. Like you, last year and this present year, my plan is to send one flimsie per month to my LAQ along with my current ones. I have reached the age where I am getting concerned that when I am gone, the kids will know what to do with finished quilts but they won't be certain what to do with the flimsies. I don't plan to stop quilting whatever the number, it is my pleasure in my life. I am considering the purchase of a Juki for quilting, I'm sure I could never pay for and house a long arm machine. Stephani in N. TX (Tomazec@aol.com)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your 16-patch with stars is beautiful, Jayne. Don't we always feel great when we create a pattern ourselves and it looks great when finished?!
    --Nancy. (ndmessier @ aol.com, joyforgrace.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!