Sunday, December 4, 2016

Minimal Quilting Time

This past week has been hectic, to put it mildly. Consequently, I have had precious little time to work on Erin's Diamonds.

If you recall, I'd moved it from the big frame and into a hoop to finish the last 5 or 6 rows. I prepped that at least a week ago. But the only stitching I've managed was done on Friday morning when the Frankfort girls met at Sheryll's house.

For the couple of hours that we stitched, I managed to get all the quilting in one frame-space done and then move the frame to a new section. That is what is shown above. I sure hope I can carve out some time later today to sit with in in my lap and quilt for awhile.

To get it to Sheryll's without getting it dirty, I smooshed it all up in this white trash bag. Those are just the perfect size for larger quilt projects that need to be transported. I have used them for years. I suppose a pillow case would work, too; they would be about the same size, minus the straps for carrying.

This final picture is a bit closer view of what I hope to finish off today. The tails of threads are what I will load back onto my needle to continue down the line from the previous section I quilted when it was still on the big frame. I had hoped this would be a time-saver, and yes, it is!

So what was my week filled with instead of quilting? Four groups that I participate in all had functions this week. Thursday morning - book club; Thursday evening - card club; Friday morning - Frankfort Girls; Saturday morning - Frienzies. To prepare for Frienzies I had to bake 7 items that I gave as gifts in our gift exchange. To prepare for book club, I had to finish a book.

And those weren't the only things that were pulling at my time. In between book club and card club, DH and I hurried to Chillicothe to order carpet for our family room. That took about an hour longer than necessary because no one seemed to be in charge of flooring at Lowe's.

The other big time-grabber is grading for the end of the semester. Rough drafts! Works Cited pages! Late submissions! All these issues regularly accompany the end of a semester, but it's still a bit of a stress because everyone has a burning question, and needs my answer right now.  Finally, I am seeing the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel, so what is left - finals and grade submission - should not be quite so taxing.

Since it is Slow Sunday Stitching day, I hope to erase some of that stress with a needle and thread in my hands later today. Doesn't that sound nice? I am linking to Kathy's Quilts again today. I enjoy seeing all the variety that the other link-ups share; there are some pretty Christmas gifts out there, don't you know!

I keep saying that I will stitch later today. The reason it will be later is that this afternoon is the Greenfield Historical Society's annual Holiday Home Tour, and I am serving as hostess at one of the homes on the tour. After my stint is over, DH and I will make a quick tour of the other homes. It's always a wonderful day; we get to see lots of people we know, and it helps get us in the mood for Christmas decorating.

Happy Quilting, Friends!


4 comments:

  1. Gosh what a busy life yo lead, but it does sound wonderful! I hope you have a great day and manage a little sewing on your gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you have lots of relaxing stitching time today!
    Isn't it just the best when it's time to move the hoop... I celebrate each time!
    Thanks for sharing with the Slow Sunday Stitchers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you found time to hand quilt. It sounds like you need some relaxation and the quilting should do that. Blessings, Gretchen

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!