Friday, December 23, 2016

Wrapping Up '16 With Claudia

One of my "things" is teaching; I taught high school English for 30 years at CHS and now have taught composition at OUC for almost 7 years. Getting the opportunity to teach something other than English and composition presented itself when I made the acquaintance of Claudia at a community arts center. She came to quilting with no experience or training, but made up for that lack of experience with an abundance of desire. She really wanted to learn!

Claudia at our first Spark! event.

An eager student is the best kind of student. *smile*

Since then, we have had several sessions together here at my house, and my goodness, what a long way she has come! She became frustrated with her vintage 1960s sewing machine, so she bought a fancy Bernina designed for the quilter. She has taken to beginning - and finishing - projects on her own, without assistance! I just couldn't be more proud of her progress, as well as her accomplishments.

It's those accomplishments that I want to share today. She has sent me pictures over the last few weeks or months of some of her recent finishes. Let's have a look, shall we?

The patriotic star table topper is one that she made over the summer then met a roadblock when trying to put the binding on. I went over to see some new puppies in the summertime, and also went in to see if I could offer any pointers. I wrote about that day here.

The finished star looks perfect, and the addition of the hexie in the center is a very clever touch. I don't know if that was part of the original pattern or not, but either way, the hexie works.

Another of Claudia's finishes is of the more functional variety - bathroom curtains.

Aren't these just the cutest?! I love her sense of color; from the very beginning I have been aware that Claudia really gravitates toward bright, vivid colors. The email note that accompanied this curtain picture was sweet:
With the foundation I got from you took on the challenge of making a new bathroom curtain. My choice of circles in stripes made for an unexpected issue but got it done. Also shortened two pairs of jeans from Internet tutorial. I would not have known how to interpret the info before our lessons.  Thank you.
 Aw, shucks.

Anyway, as we close out 2016 and look forward to '17, Claudia and I, along her friend Denise, have a few plans taking shape for upcoming sessions. Claudia has needed a new purse for quite awhile, and I have just not been able to get to working out a pattern and the zipper that will be required. This task is at the very top of my to-do list. Then, there's been some interest in learning how to sew circles in quilt blocks. I sent them this picture of a quilt I made several years ago, and I think we might go with it.

Another request they've made is a tutorial on machine quilting. This one makes me a bit nervous, for while I have done it, I sure don't feel confident in my abilities. I suppose the more I do it, the better I will get at it, so if they are comfortable learning from a less-than-confident teacher, then I will be happy to share what knowledge I have acquired.

A purse; a quilt with circles; machine quilting -  three lessons for the new year. It will be a fun way to pass the winter months.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. it is fun to teach quilting to an eager student. one of my landlords used to ask me "why do you cut up perfectly good fabric and then sew it back together again". my answer......because I can.
    she is now a quilter too!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!