Wednesday, August 15, 2018

Feed Sack Pillow Cases

I have been absent! My good intentions of getting back to posting more regularly have all fallen to pieces with this recent period of inertia. Hmmff.

I last shared my new pieced pillow sham with the promise of sharing the additional pillows - so let's get to it.

  




For the past few years, the Circleville quilt show has had a nifty little feature that has grown and grown. Members of the guild bring unwanted items to a room set aside for a giant 3-day tag sale. It is a shopper's dream - especially if one likes all manner of sewing and quilting ephemera. I am always looking for vintage fabrics and have been lucky enough to find some exquisite pieces. This year, the search brought me these two pretty feed sacks made for eventual use as pillowcases.

Now that they are sewn and in use on our bed, I realize I should have made a bigger hemmed edge with the pink and blue borders. Pillow cases naturally have hems of 3-4-inches. I wasn't thinking. My inclination was to keep as much of the colorful parts showing as possible. I will leave them as they are for now. Maybe I will prefer the wider hem at some point, but they serve their purpose now.

I included that last picture to show the holes left by the original stitching from the feed sack. Whoever saved this fabric had removed the stitches and laundered the cloth. I am happy to see how they were originally stitched and glad for the evidence of its previous life.

Happy Quilting, Friends!
 









3 comments:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!