Monday, August 27, 2018

Sashing Those Basket Blocks

After deliberating for a day or two, I decided the best course of action on my sashing dilemma would be to use the Roman Holiday fabric.

I did give myself opportunities for finding more background. I dug waaaay deep in my tub of whites/off-white. None worked. Then I found myself in the vicinity of a quilt shop, looked at the options available and even bought 2 yards of a fabric I was positive would be perfect. Nope. Too white. I don't think my fabric looks that off-white, but you know how varied the whites are. I was foolish to think I could do it by guessing.

Those two strikes sealed the deal. It became obvious that I should just use the Roman Holiday. It's a Roman Holiday basket quilt - why wouldn't I use it if I have it??? I will be perfectly happy with it. I have no problem with my quilt not looking like the pattern. Featuring the gorgeous fabric is the goal. Always has been.

I have begun the sashing portion, and it's gonna' be fun to see how this works!


I will use a different color for each horizontal sashing. I have a red line and a blue line going so far. My next big decision will be whether to use color for the vertical sashings. I probably have enough of my neutral to do the verticals, but I may prefer to use the color. Verdict is still being deliberated.


I mentioned in a previous post that the 6-week long process of making these basket blocks was quite daunting. One fun trick that kept me motivated through the 100-basket countdown was listening to an audio book. When the story is a gripping one, staying on task is a no-brainer - I want to know what happens!  The book that captured my fancy was Secrets of a Charmed Life by Susan Meissner. I highly recommend it, and I am currently into my second Meissner audio book, A Fall of Marigolds. Both books are historical fiction, and I believe Meissner's signature story-telling method is framing a story set in a historical time inside one set in the present. I am liking this author, as well as this method, and plan to seek out more titles by her. I am indebted to another quilt blogger, Nicole, at Sisters Choice Quilts, for recommending this author on one of her recent book-review posts.

Today is special in two ways. First, our oldest, Adam, turns 36 today. Whoa, how can that be?! He's all the way across country in Oregon, so we are celebrating from afar. Second, I begin another school year at Ohio University-Chillicothe. I have a M/W schedule this semester, and look forward to another challenging term. DH and I have had a fun, refreshing and relaxing summer; I am ready to meet another group of incoming freshmen writers.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





2 comments:

  1. Your basket blocks are beautiful and look so nice with the sashing fabrics. Thank you for the audio book recommendation. I've started listening to books while I sew, too, and like historical fiction. I'll add those to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Basket blocks are looking nice with the sashing. I know what you mean about your son's birthday, our oldest will be 40 the end of September. I remember when I turned 40 . . . . just 2 years ago! How can he be turning 40 now?

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!