Monday, October 29, 2018

Multi-Tasking

I don't know about all seamstresses, but I sure do like to keep my hands busy as much as possible. In an effort to keep up with some of the reading I like to do, but not sacrifice sewing time, I have become a big fan of audio books.

While big-stitching yesterday on that Roman Holiday table topper, I listened to the final three chapters of The Wild Girl by Kate Forsyth. The last name of the main character is Wild, and her family lives next door to the Brothers Grimm - as in the fairy tale Grimms. The backdrop of the years and years of war brought on by Napolean's aspirations were harrowing, as were the conditions in the Wild household. I began listening not thinking I'd care for it, but I soon found that I really wanted to finish it. Not having a very familiar knowledge of the lives of the Grimm Brothers, listening to this really was a total learning experience about a time and place where upheaval was constant.


Here is a picture of my stitching. It looks a lot like the pic I took the previous weekend. I have moved it in the frame, though, so progress is ongoing.



Not all my reading is done by listening. Our book club met on Thursday and I had to drop everything for about a day to read Educated, a memoir by Tara Westover.



It was a quick read - two sittings, and I was finished. We had a lively discussion about Educated and while it engaged me tremendously, I just have a really hard time believing that all she said happened really happened. I do recommend it, but my skepticism remains.  (How's that for a review?)

I need to get myself off to class! Have a great Monday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




1 comment:

  1. Adding The Wild Girl to my audible wishlist! That's right up my alley.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!