As is normal for me, I am working on making a quilt without a pattern. I do this often, and this usually does not pose a problem for me, with the exception that I never know if I have cut enough of things or have I estimated fabric amounts accurately enough to complete the project.
In the case of the current project, I believe I am going to be fine. I had a fat quarter pack of Memoire a Paris fabric and several yards of the background. I started by cutting 2 strips off each fat quarter - 14 fqs x 2 strips = 28 strips cut at 2.5 inches. Then I cut enough 2.5-inch strips of the background to make as many 9-patches as possible with those 28 floral strips. Below are the results - 38 9-patch blocks that stitched up just as easy as can be.
And to that end I have repeated the exact same cuts from all the fabrics, and will begin stitching those this afternoon. Before too long, I will have 76 9-patches, and that will likely be too many, but oh well. I am sure I will find a use for any extras.
I hope your new year is off to a rousing start! I am completely satisfied with my first project of the year, and already find myself thinking about the next one. I love starts!
Happy Quilting, Friends!