Saturday, April 13, 2019

1951 Featherweight

I have a new baby! Through a very odd series of events involving my friend Jan and Ebay, I now own a Featherweight. Picture me doing a happy dance!

Most of the girls in the Frankfort Girls already have Featherweights. Jan, hoping to join the Featherwight club, had been all over Ebay scoping them out. She had watched a handful of them over the last couple months, and was outbid on several, but had become quite adept at watching and following and bidding and so forth. She ended up buying one, but rather than let those others she had been watching just go away, she asked me if I would be interested. YES! I have had a secret desire to come into ownership of one of these sweet little machines, and had just not seriously pursued it. The group is very knowledgeable about the value and worth, so with their advice and Jan as my personal shopper, I now own this beauty.

It is a 1951 model, which is called The Centennial. Singer Company was formed in 1851, and the insignia on the front indicates the years. The decals are in decent shape, with minimal wear. I am optimistic that this little darling will give me many hours of sewing pleasure.

Jan delivered it to me at our Canter's Cave Quilt Camp on Wednesday. Now you know why the photo above has a bow on top of the box. And here are the pictures of me unwrapping my little gem.

 Pulling her out of the case!

A notions box, complete with manual!

 The badge is blue, indicative of the Centennial model, 1951.

My Fifi - her name; yes, I have sewn on her and she purrs like a kitten.

Retreat was tons of fun, and I have many pictures to share. Hopefully, I will be getting that prepared for posting soon. Come on back for follow up!

Have a great Saturday!
Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun with your new to you machine! People sure seem to enjoy them. Happy Sstitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I have a 1947 and also a white one (okay, slightly green from the Scotland paint mess up, but still). Some day, I'd like to own a tan one! =) I also found one of the FW card tables a few years ago in a thrift shop here. They had no clue what it was, I guess, because it was priced at $25 and I snapped it up! You will have many years of great sewing on this. It's wonderful for binding. Even satin on satin didn't slip, the one time I was silly enough to try it! Enjoy your new baby.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!