Saturday, May 9, 2020

I Do Windows

I have completed a pretty big job here at the homestead. Sometimes jobs are put off for so long that the thought of tackling them becomes increasingly daunting. That exactly describes this big job.

Take a look out my clean bedroom windows! Yes, this cool yet sunny Saturday sees me with sparkling clean bedroom windows.


I used my Norwex Enviro cloth to wash them and my Norwex window cloth to shine them. Inside and out. Well, three of the four windows got the outside treatment; one window requires pulling out the extension ladder, and that was too daunting for DH at this time. It will have to wait a little bit longer.

You know how one thing leads to another in most home projects? This is a perfect example of that rule of thumb. I only wanted new curtains.


I had the notion about a month ago that I needed to replace the curtains in our bedroom, and decided on drop cloths for the fabric I would use. Then the pandemic hit forcing me to shop online for drop cloths. I found a source that seemed perfect - a package of two cloths at a size that would require very little additional measuring and sewing. So I bought four packages. Two cloths for each window.

I laundered them to soften the stiff fabric; this proved to be a good idea, too, based on the massive amount of lint I cleaned out of my dryer screen. While laundering, I removed the old curtains, washed the windows inside and out and cleaned the snap-in grills - oh my gosh, the dust!! I couldn't help but think that I was destroying a myriad of dust-loving ecosystems. Embarrassing, really. (I have always been grateful that our children didn't suffered from dust allergies.) Below, see the old curtains, probably made 20 years ago. They are both faded and dust-coated. Ick.


Now, I have sparkling clean windows and spanking new curtains. It is such a beautiful sight!


This is DH's nightstand. This is the one window that requires the ladder. I did all I could do on the inside.

This is the window in our bathroom. Same window treatment as the three bedroom windows -  the actual 4th window. Below is a shot from our bedroom looking into the bath.


The three windows across the front of the house can be easily cleaned by standing on the roof of the porch. That's not something I do very often (never!), but I did it much more easily than I would have thought.


Let's take one more look out those clean windows. Gorgeous, if I do say so myself. Satisfying, too.

Now I have 8 pieces of drop cloth fabric that are 4' wide by 1' long. I will come up with some clever thing to do with it. It won't go to waste, that's for sure. I have seen some curtain ideas that I might be able to replicate. Windows in our guest bedroom, the long arm room and my sewing room are under consideration. Stay tuned.

In case you are curious about our bedroom paint color, many years ago we painted this room Cider Toddy. I am ready for a change; I don't have the heart to tell DH, the painter, though. All in due time, right? *wink*

Hope you had some happy accomplishments today!
Happy Quilting, Friends!

3 comments:

  1. Haven't washed our windows yet, waiting on the perfect day! Enjoy the bright sunshine!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job!
    I know my sister and I both like to tell people that we washed windows, kind of a pat on the back, but are always glad when it is done.
    Great curtains. Maybe a softer color paint for the bedroom would be my choice. Everyone is different ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It was certainly worth cleaning those windows to enjoy all those jewel bright colours! You put me to shame! Very little extra cleaning has gone on here despite the lockdown!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!