Tuesday, May 12, 2020

More Windows And Some Chit-Chat

A body-snatcher has apparently invaded me because I am tackling jobs that are absolutely uncharacteristic to my nature. I continue to window-clean.

The remnants of the master bedroom curtains were stacked neatly on my cutting table. I had 8 pieces that measured 4' by 3'.   I figured that a couple of them would be good for valances on other windows needing an update. (Let me clarify: nearly every upstairs window needs an update!)

And you know, if you are making new window treatments, then windows MUST be cleaned in that process.

We live in the country on a very secluded piece of property, and out every window we have trees and sky for as far as the eye can see. With such gorgeous views, it is a shame that I allow my windows to get so clouded with dust and grime. My resolve to correct this situation began in our master bedroom (see this post) and continues now to my sewing room.


This window is behind my sewing chair and looks out into the back yard. That roof is our screened porch which we added in '03. The curtains are not terribly old - maybe they have been up for 6 years?? More? I am not sure, but I know I didn't do anything special with them; just found some decent yardage from my fabric stash and stitched 'em up.

Today - down they came. And window cleaning commenced. What a pretty view when the sun comes out! The screen was in this window all winter, and it also got a cleaning. So much dust!


Then for new window treatments. I decided that the remnants of the drop cloths used in the master bedroom would make attractive valances for this room. I used one full width and half of another to make this double valance.




The window across the room got the exact same treatment.The curtain here is the same fabric with a stripe of coordinating fabric inserted. This is a shorter window which sits above the garage and looks out into the front yard. I had to get outside on that roof to wash the window and install the screen.


My total number of cleaned windows is now 6 - 4 done inside and out; 2 awaiting outside cleaning.

My total number of new window treatments is also 6 - 4 in the master suite; 2 in the sewing room.

When I am not stitching draperies, I continue making Ohio Stars for my Dreamy Stars quilt. I hope to be stitching rows together tomorrow.

And speaking of tomorrow, Sharon will be here to sew! We have begun to relax our quarantining efforts. A week ago, I spent Wednesday at Terry's sewing; on Thursday, Sharon came here to resume our weekly sewing time together. We never realize how special these sewing times are until we can't do them anymore! We all NEEDED to be together! The Frankfort girls will be resuming bi-weekly Friday get togethers at the end of next week. Slowly, normalcy returns. Hooray!

Further evidence of normalcy returning: on Sunday we went to DD Erin's, who along with her husband are relaxing their quarantine. We were invited for brunch, and  DD Emma came to join the fun! What a great Mother's Day treat! Since the quarantine began, Erin and Jeff have bought a condo in downtown Columbus and have moved. It was great to see them, and also their new home.

Later on Mother's Day we drove over to Hillsboro to spend some time with my dear momma. She has remained so upbeat through this long quarantine; even though I am sure she was awfully lonely at times, I never once heard her complain or bemoan the situation.  She enjoys watching her birds and other wildlife out her windows; loving on her cat Mike; and putting together jigsaw puzzles. She is a huge sports fan, and it's safe to say she has missed her Cincinnati Reds and all the NCAA tournament.

How have your been handling the stay-at-home orders these past two months? Have you begun to relax your efforts?

Happy Quilting, Friends!





2 comments:

  1. Since the temps are finally warming, I see window washing in my future too! We're not relaxing our isolation too much but I am getting my hair cut today, probably 3" coming off. The owner told me to not come into the business until she waves at me from the door. She's sanitizing after every client. We're definitely not going out to eat. I'm just watching to see what happens before we head out to the world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's getting tough to carry on the social restrictions here in the UK. As of last Sunday we are permitted to meet one person at a time outside of our household. That meeting should be outdoors and we should still keep 2 metres apart.My husband and daughter are going to meet halfway between our homes tomorrow. It's his birthday this weekend and she so wanted to see him.
    I'm still admiring your window cleaning/dressing efforts. I'm struggling to get round to normal housework!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!