Thursday, May 14, 2020

Reading, Quilting and More Chit Chat

While I sew, it is very likely that I am also listening to an audiobook. I have several apps on my phone with which to do this, but my go-to is Overdrive. I like that it links directly to my local library, keeps me checked in (no needing to remember library card info!), and I can filter my search to just audio versions.

I generally have several dozen books on my hold list at any given time, and they always seem to have a long-ish wait time.


Making over 70 Ohio Star blocks can seem like an insurmountable task, yet with a good book on the Overdrive app, I whip through the tedium without a thought. It really does save my sanity, and I like the idea that I am multi-tasking. I am enjoying some great books while also working my way through all the quilts I want to make. Win-win!

Lately, I have been rotating between two authors with extensive series to their credit. First, for fast paced espionage-type action, the Brad Thor novels often keep me on the edge of my sewing chair.  Featuring Navy Seal hero Scot Harvath, he takes on all manner of evil both around the world and on the home front. He always gets the bad guys; a real macho-man, but fun, and not a lot of concentration necessary. I just finished Hidden Order, which dealt with evil domestic forces attempting to subvert and control the federal reserve. This is book #13 of about 20 in the series, and I think a new one is scheduled for release this July. I have not been reading them in order, but I did read the first one first, just to get my bearing with the character. The first in the series is The Lions of Lucerne.


And for a total 180-degree change of pace, I read the gentle, yet compelling murder mysteries by Louise Penny featuring Inspector Armand Gamache. Oh what a man! He is thorough in his investigations, and Penny is equally thorough in developing characters, plot and setting. I am currently listening to Bury Your Dead which once again has readers returning to Three Pines, a fictious village in remote Quebec.


The Gamach series contains 16 books, possibly more. I read the first one A Still Life with my book club several years ago. Then some of those friends went on to read more of the series, but I did not get on board. After a time, when they repeatedly spoke of these books with such delight, I figured I must be missing out; now I am playing catch-up. The books are very satisfying, but I especially enjoyed The Beautiful Mystery which takes place inside a remote monastery with a cast of Gregorian-chanting monks, and Kingdom of the Blind, which addresses the present-day illicit drug scene and the inherent deadly consequences. It's actually hard to pick out a favorite, as all of them are wonderful.


Between Thor and Penny, I do lots of stitching. Having these available keeps me in the sewing room longer and prevents me from becoming distracted by other things (like Word with Friends, Facebook and Instagram).

Interestingly, the folks at American Patchwork and Quilting magazine recently surveyed quilters, asking what they liked to listen to or watch while sewing. Many quilters say they watch movies and television series, while others listen to music. And there are those who listen to books. Here are the top mentions in the books category:
*The Man on the Mountaintop by Susan Trott
*Chief Inspector Armand Gamache series by Louise Penny
*Beartown by Fredrik Backman
*The Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes
*Belgravia by Julian Fellowes
*Children of Dune by Frank Herbert
*Where the Crawdad Sings by Delia Owens
*The Murmur of Bees by Sofia Segovia

If you would like to see the entire list of movies, shows, books, and music, this link will take you there. I have read several of the books and maybe, just maybe, yours truly was the respondent who offered up the Gamache series. *wink* 


When Sharon is here to sew, we listen to music. Years ago, we got into the habit of listening to classical music, and we continue to do that to this day. Our current source for classical tunes is KUSC on I-Heart Radio. Since it comes live from California, we can tune in at 10am, yet hear their early morning programming which we enjoy.

And speaking of Sharon, tomorrow I will share a few snapshots of her current activity at the sewing machine. It sure has been great getting together for these past two weeks. The quarantine conditions made us realize how greatly we depend on one another for girl-talk and chit-chat.


In other big news we have upped our bird-watching game here. For about a year now we have been consistent in putting out mealy worms to attract a wider variety of birds to our yard. It seems to be working, too. We had a banner day earlier this week with sightings of 4 new birds this spring: red-headed woodpecker, hummingbird, indigo bunting (photo above), and rose-breasted grosbeak. Earlier we had a bluebird and he seems to be staying around. Hope that continues. We have all the normal standard backyard birds - robins, wrens, cardinals, blue jays, eastern towhees, mourning doves, red-winged blackbirds, nuthatches, downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, thrushes, yellow finches, purple finches, tufted titmouse (titmice?)and sparrows. In addition to mealy-worm, we offer sunflower seeds. DH is setting up the hummingbird feeder this afternoon. Squirrels and raccoons get their fair share, but the birds sure seem to love swooping in for the good stuff.

I am sewing together rows of Ohio Stars, at last. Hoping to bring a  decent picture of my progress soon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!







1 comment:

  1. Your Ohio blocks are lovely, can't wait to see how they're put together, simple sashing, pieced sashing? My Midnight Blues is in the flimsy stage, a knock off of your and Sharon's Shoofly/Snowball pattern. I LOVE the Gamache series, I'm always so impatient for her to get another book written. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!