Tuesday, June 15, 2021

A Finish For Fall

Maybe you noticed that I was mostly absent from blogging last week. Today you get to see what was taking my focus away from writing and sharing.

Some time back I mentioned that I would be attending a mini quilt camp at Terry's on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday of last week. All the Frankfort Girls were coming (we mostly made it at least a day or two), and we were making the quilt you see above.

My fabrics were shared in this post, and below is the background fabric - from my stash, of course.

 


So for three days, making this was our focus, and I am pleased to have a fall quilt waaaay early for the season. So very unlike me! The quilt is called Harvest Pumpkins, from the book County Seat Quilts by Julie Hendricksen and Vickie Gerike.

By the end of the second day, I had all my stars made. It sure is a satisfying sight to see this stack of beauties. Can you believe that when stems are added these stars actually end up looking like pumpkins?


The block-making was the detailed work of the quilt. Making all those flying geese, then making all those HSTs, then putting the units together to make the stars. The last day was easy - putting the pumpkin stems on, then sewing all the rows together and finally, the borders. It finishes at 45.5" x 53".

This is a quilt that I would never have made without the encouragement of the Frankfort Girls. I don't have a lot of seasonal quilts, and making a supply of them has not been a particular goal. Even so, I am glad to have this one, and believe it or not, I might even try to quilt it before fall arrives. Whoa.

So here at home this week, I am playing catch-up with some of the household chores that went neglected last week. I cleaned lots of windows yesterday, did some food prep, and stared at two bar stools that I want to paint. Gotta' make this week productive!

Happy Quilting, Friends!








2 comments:

  1. I like your quilt! I'm not a big pumpkin quilt lover but your fabrics were great choices and they work for me. I look forward to seeing this quilt quilted, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recently saw someone refer to "traditional fall" quilts; I like that description. It pretty well matches my preference, I think.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!