Monday, June 7, 2021

Sew Along Update - Week 15

 

Perhaps you have forgotten that we three friends doing this sew along are retired English teachers. Dee and Sharon and I met as brand-spanking-new teachers at CHS back in 1979-80. Even though we separated professionally in the '90s when Dee and her husband left for jobs in northern Ohio, we three have managed to maintain our friendship across both years and miles.

We are all retired now (Hurrah!), but in true English-teacher fashion we still enjoy some nerdy aspects of the subject we taught. We treated you to a found poem by Dee in this post. A few weeks later, Sharon shared her "sentimental" poem with us in this post. Not to be outdone, today you get my poem - a sonnet, no less, in true iambic pentameter - mostly. 

But first, I am super-pumped to show you my Spring Dreams finish for this past week! This represents a milestone! My first sew along quilt - I've called it my original Spring Dreams - is quilted and bound! Longtime readers here know the rarity of my planning, making, quilting and finishing a project in such a short turn-around time! Quite the development! 

You are about to see three pictures of the finish. Note how different the color looks. I am stymied with what a chameleon this quilt is. No matter where I photograph it, no two pictures show the green sashing true enough to suit me. The picture above is on the front porch, late afternoon light, sheltered from direct sun.

Here she is in our family room, courtesy of DH and his long arms holding it for me. This room always seems somewhat dark.

This bedroom has windows on both sides, diffused by curtains when necessary. Oh well, if you can conjure up some amalgamation of these three pictures, then you know the color. *smile*

Rather than focus on my inability to accurately capture the colors, check out the similarity to Helen Phillips' inspiration quilt. She has been so gracious and such a cheerleader, as we have stitched from her beautiful photo.

Instagram photo from Helen Philipps
 

During our sew along, Helen has published a pattern for her table topper, available on Etsy, and perhaps she includes alternate sizes. We three sew along gals here have made quite a variety of sizes and in a variety of colorways. One is limited only by the amount of fabric being used for the sashing, mostly. All the blocks can be scrappy, as can the cornerstones, if necessary.

This coming week will find me attempting to finish one more quilt top using this design in reproduction fabrics. I have a healthy start, and plan to sew this afternoon.

Now for my sonnet. I do enjoy reading poetry, but as for writing it, let me just say that birthing three babies might have been easier. Geeesh, what effort! I reread poems I once taught; I searched the web for rhymes and synonyms; I gleaned interesting words from radio and audio books. My desk is strewn with scribbled-up drafts - such very messy business it is to pen a poem. *wink*

 Spring Dreams

Come Spring! And bless us with your charms!

Shrug off old winter's long and dreary days.

We long for azure skies, bright sun that warms;

On flowers, buds and blooms we long to gaze.

So gradual doth spring share her wak'ning breath,

As length'ning days do warm the vast expanse,

Yon meadows shimmer, draped green, en-wreathed.

Rejoice when Jacks and jonquils have fair chance!

As garden's cheerful crocuses burst forth

And thrumming bees dance pirouettes aloft,

Whilst songbirds trill and flit with lovers' mirth,

Throaty polliwogs through murm'ring night call soft.

Spring tiptoes timid through the frost and cold,

Crescendos buoyant full in pageant bold.


Until next update, dear readers, have a wonderfully productive week at the sewing machine!

Happy Quilting, Friends!




 

1 comment:

  1. Spring Dreams is beautiful no matter where you show it, she's such a spring looking quilt! She'll bring a smile to your face next winter and make you dream of green grass and spring flowers. Thanks for the lovely poem, I think everyone was very tired of winter this year. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!