Wednesday, June 30, 2021

Hettie Retires and Goodbye, June!

The time between my monthly collages seems to get shorter and shorter. I cannot explain this phenomenon!

Before I get to the June highlights collage, I want to share with you our Frienzie Hettie, who as the 'baby' of our group, has at last retired. Congratulations, Hettie! We made Hettie's retirement quilt ages and ages ago, but since Hettie kept teaching well past 30 years, we were never quite sure when it would be needed! Finally, this spring, Hettie made her decision to retire, so we put the finishing touches on her quilt.



Way back in early April, I had the quilt to applique the label to the back. This one has Hettie's name above the year of retirement. When I shared it earlier, I was in stealth mode, thus the reason for the crossing out.  On the other bottom corner of the back are three additional stars to signify the extra years that Hettie taught. She almost made it to 35 years! Here are pictures of the Frienzie party celebrating Hettie.


Hettie looks happy, doesn't she? This pillow was made from extra quilt fabric; Sherrie was practicing something and this resulted. I am short on specifics because I missed attending the party! We were vacationing when the gang celebrated. (Thanks, Pam, for the pics!)

The June collage has three main themes - long-time friends, quilting, and vacations. TOP ROW: A few friends from HHS class of 1975 gathered for pizza and beer and, most importantly, fellowship. What a fun evening. The pumpkin quilt top and the Pioneer Dreams quilt top were both completed early in June. MIDDLE ROW: The vacation this month included a picturesque trip on the Skyline Drive in Virginia, a sobering visit to Gettysburg battlefield, and a stop at the historic home where Lincoln stayed to perfect his Gettysburg Address. BOTTOM ROW: My work on Lake Effect found me completing the vines on the appliqued borders; I finished off a set of 4 pillows for the family room sofa, and last but by no means least, I enjoyed hosting both Sharon and Dee for a day of sewing yesterday!! What a lovely day! I will share more about it in the next couple of days.

I'm making plans for July! So much I want to make and I'm chomping at the bit.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





4 comments:

  1. Jayne, your Lake Effect quilt is coming along beautifully. I remember way back that you were so worried about the appliqué, but it is lovely. Would you please share the blog where you found instructions for the back basting? BTW your new cushions are impressive. Jane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So nice of you, Jane. I think your suggestion to share again about back basting is a good one. I will put one together for posting later this month. I appreciate your interest! And as for cushions - I plan to do 4 more for the front room sofa!! Whoohoo!

      Delete
  2. Hettie's quilt is lovely! Isn't it something how summer flies by and winter drags along? Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gretchen. I do have renewed interest in doing more focused work on it!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!