Friday, July 23, 2021

Itty-Bitty EPPs

A few weeks ago I happened upon something or other that gave me the idea of revisiting the English Paper Piecing branch of quilting. 

After looking at a few books, I came across this one particular pattern which captured my attention. It is a small project - just around 11x14 inches - and even though the pieces in it are quite small, I figured I wouldn't mind fussing with it since I would only be making six 4" blocks.

My first attempt at a starflower is shown below. This sorry mess is the result of my decision to cut corners. I used a school glue, instead of the EPP glue. Additionally, I used cheap cardboard for a template rather than the slick paper available for the purpose. The tattered, distorted abomination shown here is absolutely unusable.

I worked on this about a week ago when my friend and EPP expert Becky was seated next to me. She watched as I destroyed this little star while removing the cardboard. She suggested that instead of gluing, I try the stitching method of folding fabric around the template. This is her preferred method; she says she believes this method results in little to no distortion and sharper points. I was willing to try. Becky is such a good teacher; she guided me through the process, although it is pretty straightforward.

After doing a few, the process becomes pretty fast, and I am rather surprised at how fast these little buggers can be cranked out. 


I need 6 for the little project I want to make. Won't be long before I have them done, and will be moving on to the next step.

More details later. This old dog's gonna' practice her new trick with a few more starflowers.

Happy Quilting, Friends!







2 comments:

  1. I normally use the thread method for basting EPP to the paper. I have used glue stick for larger projects but I find the glue rather annoying, use too much and it messes up the paper, use too little and the fabric comes loose from the paper. Thread basting is the way to go, happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thanks for showing your failed experiment. I have done that too but it's nice to see another quilter do things like that. I'm not making fun just good to know other people do stuff like that too. I use the thread basting way. Lesson learned I guess. :)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!