Saturday, July 10, 2021

Starting All The Things

Maybe that title should be "finishing" all the things. In a curious turn of events (which I will wait to share because of a certain surprise later this summer), I went looking for a very old counted cross stitch UFO - like from circa 1990. It took some digging, but I found it, and (incredibly) I also found the pattern. After a trip to Hobby Lobby for DMC floss I am stitching. This is something I am doing while we watch sports - the Tour de France, baseball, and coming up, the Olympics. Counting stitches is not an easy feat for this math-challenged gal and sometimes I watch more French countryside and cycling breakaways than I stitch, but I am getting a tiny bit done.


I have absolutely zero memory of working on this project 30 years ago. I do not recall deciding to start it; prepping for it, stitching the bit shown, or why I stopped. Puzzling...

I do know that I have moved it around, stored it in various spots; always thinking that one day I would go back and finish it.

A couple days ago, I unrolled it from the frame it has lived on for 30 years, and you see the issue now before me - discolored Aida cloth. It could just be dust and dirt; I hope cleaning will be possible.

Instead of discoloration, I'd hoped to discover that I had a whole bunch of stitching under that roller bar. Nope. No such luck. I began in the center of the design and worked to the right. Nothing on the left finished. I have some work ahead of me.

In the little bit I have done this week, I can tell you that it is not easy starting back up on a project that is so old. I have worked on those shoes at the foot of the cradle, and that is some precision counting going on there! I rather look forward to a big ol' section of brown teddy bear to jump-start my mojo.

Don't worry about my becoming completely engrossed in cross stitch. Quilting is still my #1 interest. I tell you what - I can start more projects than can ever be finished. I can't help myself! Why, just a few nights ago, I was upstairs cutting out 2.5" squares for another quilt. I love it! You'll get to see soon enough.

Starting? Finishing?

Maybe 'Starting All The Things' was the correct title for this post, after all. Finishing a few UFOs will be nice, too. *wink*

Happy Quilting, Friends!



 


4 comments:

  1. This will be lovely when finished. I've never gotten into counted cross stitching but my mother did. After she died, I brought one of her projects home that she had framed herself. She hadn't covered it with glass. I took the old frame and sticky board off the needlework and then soaked it in Oxyclean for several days. I think I replaced the oxyclean with new a couple of times. The grunge soaked out completely and looked clean. After rinsing, I rolled it in bath towels to get the excess water out then carefully laid it on a sheet to dry. Then I pressed it with a hot iron. After having it professionally framed, it hangs in our bedroom now. Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is fantastic advice, Gretchen!! Thank you so much for your very precise helpfulness! I needed all those details! 🥰

      Delete
    2. This is fantastic advice, Gretchen!! Thank you so much for your very precise helpfulness! I needed all those details! 🥰

      Delete
  2. I started cross stitching in 1983. In 2003 I discovered quilting. I had put away a huge cross stitch project when I started quilting and a month ago decided to begin to finish it. Thankfully I only have 1/4 left to do. Now to frame all the cross stitch projects that are finished put I have never had framed.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!