Wednesday, July 21, 2021

Sewing With Sharon

 

As we so often do, Sharon and I are making different versions of the same quilt. We've done this for years. Doing quilts together helps to keep us on track, work towards a goal and finish projects - no UFOs when a friend sews along!


Our current project is Scrappy Irish Chain, seen in this picture from Pinterest. The pattern is a free one online, and we both have plenty, plenty, plenty of scraps. Sounds like our kind of project, right?

Another thing we have is ample amounts of solid fabrics for our chains. In this post, you can see that I am going with yellow. Sharon is going with peachy-pink.

I love how Sharon's fabrics are all so soft and almost hushed in how they come together. These are very typical of her quilts, so it stands to reason this is the type of scraps she has to work with. 

My previous post dealt with how I am efficiently constructing this 81-patch block. From these pictures of Sharon's, I think it is pretty evident how she is doing hers - make 9 9-patch blocks, being sure to place the pink and white squares in the correct order. Then sew the 9-patches together. Easy-peasy! I like her method, but I have mine pretty well streamlined, so I will continue.

Sharon said she would have tried my method but . . . her kitten. No way could she leave loose blocks out on a table and expect to find them as she left them.

When Sharon sews at her house, the dining table is the center of activity. This is convenient for Sharon, but it provides Daisy the kitten with all manner of playing options. The table after all is hers, according to Sharon. Cats do have a way of taking ownership, don't they?

It appears Daisy is well situated with fabric for sleeping, and from the look on Daisy's face, I believe these photos have, indeed, interrupted a nap.

A second of Sharon's blocks. These are perfectly dreamy and soft. I can't wait to see the setting blocks and the peach/pink chain that results. It's going to be gorgeous.

We sewed together yesterday, and we chatted about how many scrap quilts we have made this year. But you know what? Our scrap piles do not seem to be any smaller than before. Strange how that works.

Happy Quilting, Friends!





1 comment:

  1. You both are going to have beautiful quilts! Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!