Monday, July 19, 2021

Making the 81-Patch Block

Streamlining the construction of this 81-patch block has resulted in a bit of efficiency for me, I believe. I was not too happy sewing this big block together 2.5-inch square by 2.5-inch square. I had to figure out a better way.


First, I cleared off the end of my sewing table to make room for laying out this 18" block. Then I carefully laid out the 81 squares, placing them as randomly as possible. Off to the side, my pattern diagram helped me to be sure I placed my yellow and white blocks correctly. All the rest is just personal preference.

The next step is sewing it all together. I went about it in Eleanor Burns' method - chain piece all of the first and second vertical rows. Go back to the top, begin chain piecing the third vertical row and so on across the 9 rows.

The photo above shows the blocks all chain-pieced one direction, seams pressed open, and ready to be pinned and sewn the other direction. Pinning intersections takes a bit of extra time, but keeps my points crisp. So far, the results are satisfying.


I have 4 of these blocks finished along with 2 setting blocks, so I'm getting there.

The picture of my design wall looks strange with the wall decor competing for attention, but I think it is becoming evident what this quilt will look like. The blocks are very scrappy, which is the intent, and the yellow serves to contain the explosion of scrappiness, also the intent. I am liking how it is coming together.

I hope you are having a wonderful Monday! 

Happy Quilting, Friends!



2 comments:

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!