Monday, July 12, 2021

Back Basting

 It has been awhile since I spoke about how to do applique with the back basting method. By no means am I an expert, but I am finding success with applique, which previously was a skill I would avoid at all costs. 

My breakthrough came in two moments which occurred almost simultaneously. First, I admired my friend Becky's beautiful applique and learned that she uses the back basting method. She explained the method, shared some tips, and encouraged me to try it. Within a day or two, almost as if destiny intervened, I chanced across a video on Instagram by the very talented Jeana Kimball, in which she provided a step-by-step tutorial on the method.

Since I am beginning the leaf appliques on one of my panels, I thought I'd go ahead and share the prepping steps. Almost any time I mention back basting, I get comments and questions about it. Hopefully this will help someone.

Prior to what you see in this photo, I have pencil-traced my entire design on the back of my panel. I have already stitched the vine/branches, which is faint but visible on the left. For leaves, I cut big shapes out of my desired fabrics and pin them over the traced leaves. It is essential to leave ample turning-under fabric, so cut larger than you need.

When you know which leaf you want to work on, move the fabric to the front of the panel. I hold my fingernail on the widest parts of the leaf to make sure I am leaving enough fabric for turning under and adjust accordingly. Pin in place.

Return to the back of the panel, and with very dark, mismatched thread, run a basting stitch on the leaf outlines. In the photo above, you can see that I have three leaves basted. This is where we get the term back basting. The next picture shows how the front looks when basted. The leaf shows because you've used that mismatched thread. Note that I am really cutting that one leaf edge close (at about the 10 o'clock point), but I think I can make it work. It will still look like a leaf if I have to come in a bit at that point, right?

Next, trim around all the shapes to remove the excess fabric. As I applique, I will trim more closely on the curves, notching or clipping as needed.


Now I am ready to stitch these three leaves. As I get some done, I will take pictures and do a follow-up on the stitching and finishing part of the process.

I sure hope this simplifies the back basting method for you. I learned it as the result of two accomplished quilters helping me along; I hope this will do the same for you!

Linking up with Kathy's Quilts in just the nick of time! Check out her weekly feature Slow Sunday Stitching!

Happy Monday! 

And Happy Quilting, Friends!





2 comments:

  1. Wow! Thank you for sharing! This is a completely new technique to me, so I'm glad I found you at Kathy's Quilts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing the details of this technique. I'm following along the English Country Garden QAL and think Alison may suggest back basting for at least one of the blocks. I will definitely give it a go :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!