Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Lunch Box Social Flimsy

For years I have put Lunch Box Social on my yearly goals list, and for years I have failed to accomplish it. But no more! About a month ago I cut it out with the intention of making it on a sewing day with the girls, and while that did not happen, I did continue working on it through the past few weeks, and today have finished off the top by adding the outer borders.

The pattern is by Kim Diehl, whose designs I just about always like. This one has been around for awhile, like over 5 years, I'm sure, and ever since I saw the one my friend Terry made, I've wanted to make one, too.

And now I find myself wondering why I had such an attitude about doing it! Gosh, it was so simple! There are only 9 blocks needed, and while each block has quite a few pieces, they go together quite easily. I had definitely been making it a bigger job than it was.

The block is made with rather an ingenious method of construction. The center 9-patch measures out at 3.5 inches. Instead of triangles surrounding the 9-patch, you add rectangles. The triangles are formed when the anvils are added to the corners. How nice not to have too many triangles to fuss with. 

Diehl's design also calls for hefty sashing strips, and uses more 3.5 inch 9-patches for cornerstones. My fabrics were all pulled from my stash, and it's quite a variety of old and new. With the goal of scrappy-looking, I really used a lot of variety in the 9-patches. The consistent neutral background and the brown and pink stripe for sashing and block triangles, it really looks more ordered than it might otherwise.

In the last post, I referenced several near-finishes I have in the quilting room. This is one. Now, to check it off the list, and move on to the next one.

I am still fighting the sinus congestion, and I am not happy about it! I have never had a sinus infection linger the way this one is. Ugh.

Happy Quilting, Friends!







No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!