Wednesday, April 5, 2023

How Do You Organize?

My authority as an organizational expert is admittedly suspect, but I do have a system that works for me. My biggest downfall in the success of my system is that I don't devote enough time to it. I am content to work in a messy, cluttered space; the pull of the next project far overpowers any desire to put away the parts from the last one.

I will work on this.

Today, however, I don't really want to talk about that. Instead, I thought you might be interested in seeing my simple system.

Some may wonder why even bother to save scraps. I can think of a few viable reasons. First, fabric is becoming increasingly expensive, so if usable bits are left over, then make them into something rather than waste them and throw them into a landfill. Second, I really enjoy making scrap quilts and feel a sense of pride in making something out of nothing. Last, if I bought the fabric to begin with, it was because I really liked it! And I still like it! I don't want to throw it away! So the idea of using it elsewhere is very appealing.

When I first got moderately serious about scrap management, I limited myself to cutting just the most basic and often-used sizes of squares and strips. This worked really well, and I have actually used a lot of the 2.5" squares in recent projects.

Sometimes, though, I had bigger pieces of fabric and I thought I really ought not to cut everything down so small. I then began cutting larger squares. Here are some of my most recently cut scraps labeled with sizes.


I also cut strips, when long bits are in the scrap pile.

And that is it - my super-simple organizational method for scrap control. After cutting, all are stored separately in easily-identifiable totes or bins or baskets.

Now, to figure out how to stay at it longer than a couple of days. At the rate I've gone so far, the impact my efforts have had in the sewing room is imperceptible.

Ahh, well. Soldier on, eh?

Happy Quilting, Friends!






   

2 comments:

  1. I needed this post! I have been organizing my fabric onto comic book boards for easy access and view in my craft cabinet. All the fabric used to be just stacked in piles. I was struggling to figure out what to do with the scraps that are too small for the boards. I am going to look through my quilt books to find some scrappy quilts that I like and then cut the scraps into the sizes that I might use. Thank you for this idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received 3 green garbage baga full of scraps. What a treasure! But-- what to do with them? Some were large pieces, some strips and most just odd shape cutoffs. After looking at them for seems like ever, i bot clear plastic containers and sorted them by colors. Pieces that aren't big enuf for sqs are still good for sm triangles or such. There's such a huge variety of fabrics, I hate to throw any away. I've used up quite a bit but I do believe they are multiplying. Could that be actually possible? Lol

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!