Friday, April 21, 2023

UFO: Blockheads 2 Attempt

An effort was made, but I have come to the decision that this version of Blockheads 2 has reached its finish. With only 24 of the 52 blocks completed, this is all the farther I am going. 

Several factors played into this decision. And I really cannot say that one was any more significant than another. The whole thing just felt off.

First, I am not liking that blocks are all these different sizes. I was willing to give it a chance, but there is just way too much going on here for me - far too busy! I can handle a lot of color and movement in a quilt, but this just screams chaos to me.

Next, I tried using an old fabric pack of fat quarters that I had; while it is historically accurate fabric, which I generally like, it was exceedingly busy and somewhat garish. Coupling this fabric and a bunch of busy blocks -  well, that's bad news in my eyes. 

Lastly, I was simply not enjoying the process of making this quilt. Usually, I am excited to see the outcome. Not once was I eager to see this as a finished quilt. I suppose because I wasn't thrilled with either the fabric or the haphazard blocks, it goes without saying that the construction process would be a chore. I did a fair amount of grumbling and complaining to the girls at retreat. Sorry, ladies!!

Why put myself through any more agony? Just say it's done. Move on.

So that is what I'm doing. It will be a nice lap quilt or wall hanging, if needed. 

I will sew these 24 blocks together using the layout shown in the picture as my guide; I may move around a few of the smaller blocks, but this is the basic idea of what will result. I want to get this off my sewing table and move on to something I can be more excited about!

I guess I have learned some lessons here. 

Hope you are having a wonderful Friday!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. Maybe you should try adding some sashing, to reduce the busy-ness of the fabrics and patterns. Then, go on to something you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would take out the red and blue cross big block, take out the top 4 smaller blocks and replace with a large block. Then have all the small blocks down each side. You will have some leftover orphans which could be used in a table runner or back of a lap quilt and like above, you could add sashing between the centre big block and the small side panels. Good luck. We've all made something we don't really care for but a shame after so much work to just end up in a bag.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!