Wednesday, June 21, 2023

A Daunting Task

It all began with a search in my sewing room for one particular fabric. If you recall, in my attempt to make progress on Lake Effect, I needed to make more hexies. I found the necessary fabrics and went to work making a few hundred more. 

However, one fabric in particular was missing from the collection and believing it was necessary to include it, I began a basic search of my sewing room.

Arrow points to fabric I am trying to find.
 

You know, searching comes in a couple of different forms. One is the basic glance through this or that tub, or in this or that little pile which usually results in finding the desired item. I did this type of searching for about three days. I'd look for awhile, then stop, moving on to other tasks. But my mind continued pondering possible places I could have put the piece of fabric. 

Because you know about me, my fabric stash and my penchant for keeping all scraps, I wouldn't have thrown it out, and I am sure I didn't use it for any other project.

So I returned, tackling previously unsearched places.

By the third or fourth day, I was driving myself crazy trying to find this fabric, and that is when the simple search ended up becoming so much more. I was becoming really agitated with the fruitlessness of my searching. 

Note the sprinkling of the dark print.

And so the next-level searching began. We are talking deep, dig-in-the-back-of-the cupboard  and pull-out-all-the-tubs stuff here, folks. I am finding things that have been buried for decades.

And no, I have not found the fabric I was looking for. 

 Blond Woman Crying Blond Woman Crying crying stock illustrations

However, all is not lost. I have accomplished something significant - my sewing room is getting some long-avoided attention. It both thrills me to be tackling this, but also overwhelms me to accept the reality and impossibility of beginning new projects alongside those that need finishing (UFOs). 

For proof that progress is being made, I will share this tub full of empty tubs. Formerly, all these contained miscellaneous items - fabric, projects, remnants from projects, etc. I consolidated huge amounts of items; in other words, I actually dealt with them. Instead of a temporary plastic tub for a home, I moved things to the real home - what a novel idea! Years of stop-gap measures have been corrected for the long-term solutions. 

I intend to explain with more depth a few of these in future posts.

And yes, I know, the truly long-term solutions involve FINISHING what I start!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

8 comments:

  1. Cleaning up, putting stuff away, rearranging etc is a never ending task like housework, but more fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You'll find the fabric as soon as you buy a new piece to replace the missing piece. Been there, done that!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes, that is exactly what will happen. Actually, though, I doubt I buy a substitute. Lately, I am forcing myself to use the existing stash!

      Delete
  3. I can absolutely identify with this experience! I was hoping maybe I had some of the fabric you need but I don't. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How sweet of you to think to offer! I am not going to be that "desperate" in only using this one fabric. I will find a worthy substitute in the stash and just move on.

      Delete
  4. I've just tackled this myself and have quite the pile of empty plastic tubs also. I got ALL the scraps and fat quarters sorted by color, all the half yards are together, and all the larger yardage pieces are filed away in two cabinets. I even went through my kits and sold some of them because I came to realization that I was not going to ever make them. Feels so good to finally get this done and I am so inspired to start creating in my Happy Room again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be a quilter thing - letting the scraps take over our workspace. I brag in this post about all that I've accomplished, but believe me I am far from done. My cutting table is still a wreck - mostly scraps I've come across that need to be cut down into usable strips or squares.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!