Sunday, June 18, 2023

Special Slow Stitching

In the last post I teased that I would share more about my cousin Marilyn's beautiful creation. Quite honestly, calling it beautiful does not nearly convey the absolutely marvelous array of colors, textures and designs. It is a stunning work of art. Needle art in the truest sense.

I'll rerun the picture of the full quilt here.

This is wool applique at its finest, ladies and gentlemen. The decorative stitches and the whimsical objects combine to offer up a feast for the viewer's eyes. Wherever you look, the incredibly detailed workmanship is evidenced.

I want to share some closeups. While I could have lingered over every single panel, I did not. I snapped a few random shots of various elements on the quilt. To best see the detail, I recommend clicking on each photo to enlarge it.






This work amazes me in a couple ways. First, I cannot even fathom what sort of creative mind thinks of drawing up a design like this and then bringing it to life in wool, thread and decorative embellishments. Second, I wonder where in the world needle artists find the patience to tackle such an intricate project as this.

I know. Many people say those same things about straightforward quilting, so I get it. Everyone has their own unique niche. Thankfully, Marilyn's preference is applique and gosh, is she good! This will truly be a work of art when finished.

The pattern called Fresh Cut is by Sue Spargo from her book entitled , interestingly, Fresh Cut. Her shop which is located in Ohio sells kits. Wouldn't that be an enormous shopping bag?? 

Marilyn tells me that she has twice visited Sue's shop in Uniontown, OH, and dreams of someday taking one of her classes. Sue was actually there in the shop both times she went, so Marilyn got to meet her. Marilyn says the shop is not your typical quilt store. Sue sells unique gifts made by indigenous African women, as well as a wide array of threads, ribbons, fabric (including wool) and kits.

If you are interested in seeing more of Sue Spargo's amazing designs, I recommend visiting her Instagram page. I have scrolled through quite a lot of her feed and have learned so much! She does have some video tutorials and sells some instructional books on getting started with embroidery and embellishing. She travels quite a lot to teach in some very exotic places  - Orvieto, Italy, for example. She just seems like a very fun lady to know. Here are two links to her IG account that relate to this Fresh Cut- here and here, but you should definitely browse it in its entirety!

I am offering up Marilyn's stitching for your Slow Sunday Stitching today. After seeing all this amazing work, I think I will stop moaning and groaning about the bit of simple applique I have attempted over the years. Yikes! I'm such a whiner!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing Marilyn’s work. So colorful. Excellent workmanship.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely quilt you have on your header! It looks hand piece and hand quilted. So lovely! Marilyn’s quilt defies words…it’s amazingly gorgeous! Wow….I agree with you – she has a creative mind beyond comprehension! It is absolutely stunning in its detail, variety of stitches and color play!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such lovely work that Marilyn created. I've never done wool embroidery, but did machine applique wool horses onto a wool quilt once. Certainly not the same thing, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marilyn's quilt is exquisite! One could look at all the gorgeous details forever. What a joy it must be to touch all that tactile loveliness and gaze at all the amazing elements. Truly, a sublime work of art. I can only imagine the delight upon crossing the threshold of Sue Spargo's shop. It would be a vision splendid.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I finally had time to read your blog about Fresh Cut. Thanks for all your kind words. It’s so fun to hear other people’s thoughts about our quilting! I hope to soon finish this one and will enjoy looking at it for awhile. Then onwards to a different challenge! Sew on, cousin!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I forgot to put my name.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!