Friday, June 16, 2023

Another Quilt Quilted

So far June has been productive at the long arm machine. This week I loaded another Kaffe Fassett quilt from a very long time ago - I will look it up later - and quilted it on Wednesday afternoon.

This quilt top wasn't exactly square and flat. It had a fair amount of waviness and stretchy bits. I don't have really vivid memories of making it, but it has been long enough ago that I am sure I wasn't as careful about bias stitching as I am now. Waviness notwithstanding, I plowed on and worked it out as I went. I know it is never gonna' pass quilt police inspection by any stretch, but I don't need this quilt to be perfect - I just need it to be finished!!!

The quilt is called Economy Blue and is featured in the book Country Garden Quilts. I looked back and found that I made this in 2011. Here's a flashback post. I later posted this update. The quilt measures 62" square.

It was quite pleasurable gazing at all these magnificent KF fabrics as I quilted along. I have only small bits of most of these fabrics now; I have made a lot of blue KF quilts since 2011, that's for sure. I ought to tally them up just to see what the total would be.

For this quilt, I used the same backing as the previous one. I also used white thread on top and navy thread on the bottom.You can see that my tension is a bit less than perfect by all the tiny white dots of white top thread showing through on the back. Since this quilt is for me, I will wash it and then ignore it. With all the wonk stretchy wavy blocks on the front, this additional imperfection on the back won't bother me in the least.

I know quilters are supposed to measure things, but this quilter often opts to "guessitmate" or "eyeball it" which often comes back to bite me in the butt. This was one such time. I thought for sure I had cut enough binding, but daggone it! I needed a few more inches. Sigh

I ought to learn. 

I doubt I have.

I am stitching the binding down today, as I am with the Frankfort Girls at Terry's house. It will go fast, and I will soon have it in the washing machine to achieve that crinkly goodness. I will try taking some pictures of this quilt outside; these indoor pictures don't do it justice. The colors should be more vibrant and vivid.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. What a pretty quilt! Nice size too. I'm making mine a bit smaller now. Mostly cuz I get tired of making the blocks and i hand quilt and want it done this century.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those Kaffe fabrics are a vision in gorgeous blues. No quilt police here. I think your quilt is lovely.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!