Monday, July 10, 2023

Garment Stitching

It takes a really special someone to give up quilt-making time in order to do garment sewing. Of course, granddaughters are the most special things in the world, so also of course, I have been happily been making a little outfit for Cate.

In the deep and (somewhat) thorough quilting room clean-out of last month, I came across a piece of fabric I couldn't rightly account for. Who gave it to me? I know I did not buy it. I am guessing it was in some of the stuff from my friend Kay's sewing room. Months before her memory got too sketchy, she gave me a box of remnants and I added to it as we cleaned out her sewing room several months later. This little piece of striped cotton had an old-fashioned tag attached to it - 1 yard for $1. Wow. 

It seemed perfect for a flouncy little dress.

I've made this pattern once before, if you recall, and dragged my feet for months putting button holes on. To prevent that on this dress, I tackled them straight away. They went in just fine. Now, I did two practice button holes before trying them on the real dress. And I'm glad I did. Practice is always a good move, in my opinion. 

This little dress had lots of hand stitching - AKA slow stitching - as finishing detail. All around the yoke facing, armhole facings, and hem. It didn't take long and was the perfect accompaniment to watching the Tour de France. Now I must make the matching bloomers.

I've been away for a few days as DH and I took a little overnight getaway to Akron. We combined two destinations - The Stan Hywet Hall in Akron and Sue Spargo's quilt shop in nearby Uniontown. In a later post, I will write more about both of these visits, but for now let me draw your attention to the adorable little outfit above. This top and pants outfit made with - of all things - Liberty fabrics! - and was a shop sample at Sue Spargo's store. Absolutely precious! I came home with the patterns, and have several years of garment sewing ahead of me, as they both contain several sizes. Consider me a happy gramma!

So, yes, I have been slow stitching and traveling. Stan Hywet Hall is the home of Akron industrialist F. A. Seiberling, one of the brothers who created Goodyear Tire and Rubber. It's a grand home with gorgeous gardens. We've intended to visit this Akron landmark for years, and had just never gotten around to it. When we learned that Sue Spargo's shop was nearby, we decided to make it happen.

I will share more details of our day in Akron later this week. Now I will join the the gang over at Kathy's weekly slow stitching party

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Such a sweet, little flouncy dress for your granddaughter. I always practice stitching a few buttonholes before stitching a garment. Love the Liberty creation.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!