Tuesday, October 4, 2022

Baby Garments

Influencers are those people on social media who put ideas out to the masses which consequently 'influence' others to do, buy, decorate, shop, spend, cook - whatever - like they do. Since I mostly follow fabric- and quilting-related accounts on Instagram, I am influenced by quilts or products I see on my IG feed. I do follow other accounts - home decorating, especially, and they influence me, too.

So why am I talking about influencers when my title says baby garments? Well, on a Kaffe Fassett account I recently saw the most adorable little baby romper and elastic diaper coverup (is there a name for that?) and I was moved to make one for our soon-to-arrive granddaughter. 

Yes. I was influenced.

In the depths of my quilting room closet, I knew I had a box of patterns. I haven't used anything in this box for at least 20 years. However, I knew there were baby patterns here, and since baby styles change very little, I knew, too, that I would be able to use them.



The sampling shown above are some of the older patterns in the box. I have never made these to my recollection. Someone must have given them to me when my kids were small. I have a variety of sizes, so I selected the one below as it is the closest to newborn size available.

I have no idea how true to size these patterns are, but I made the sleeveless jumper and matching pants last week. It was fun to renew a long-lost art of garment-making. I had a remnant fabric of 3/4 yard. I finagled a way to get it to fit and proceeded. It was like riding a bike - once you know how to layout and follow pattern directions you can do it years - years! - later.

This first foray into making grand-baby clothes was fun and I am thinking of making something with sleeves for the cool days of winter. I could skip the bottoms and let Mama dress her in matching leggings or tights.

Happy Quilting, Friends!



2 comments:

  1. The outfit is really cute! I enjoyed sewing clothes for my daughter who was born after 2 sons. I was recently thinking about throwing out my box of patterns, maybe I should reconsider. Happy sewing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reason I kept these old patterns was that I found out that vintage patterns had some value on Ebay, Etsy, etc. Now I am glad that I didn't follow through with trying to sell them!

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!