Monday, September 25, 2023

Hand Quilting A Keepsake

A keepsake? I am hoping this growth chart will be a keepsake, at least. DDErin asked me about a month ago to quilt the inch-lines on Cate's growth chart, and you know I agreed to do it. 


Makes for quite a special project. I've tried to be very careful to stitch as straight across the fabric as possible, and to keep my rows exactly at 1-inch intervals. The quilting does, however, pull a bit out of shape, so "in the ballpark" measurements will have to do.

I started at the top end - 6 feet - and I'm working my way down. Those little number are  the ones that will count most. Surely Cate won't grow that tall (although height is in the genes!). If she does, she will be too old by then to have her parents mark her height on a growth chart.

I really like the way the stitching makes the little shadows. It is really difficult to see that there are actually two colors being used here in the quilting. A darker color is used for the foot marks, and a lighter one for all the inch marks. The two colors don't have that much contrast to begin with, and in the shadows of the piece, the distinction is lost.

I am nearing the end of a good audio book, so I plan to sit on the porch and finish the quilting today with my earbuds in place. 

Next will be trimming and binding. This ought to be ready to return Cate and her parents by week's end. Below is the backing - soft, subtle pink.

It's gonna be sweet seeing this growth chart being used as Cate grows up. She is so, so very close to standing alone. I mustn't dally! Gotta' getter' done!

I am linking up today with the hand quilters and stitchers attending the party at Kathy's Quilts and her weekly Slow Sunday Stitching event. It's been a weekly event for nine (9) years! That's definitely a milestone achievement! 

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up on your posts, Jayne. Your wonderful soup reminded me I must get out the slow cooker...it is definitely homemade soup time here in my corner of Ontario. Love the maple leaf blocks and your jelly roll project. This lovely embroidered growth chart will definitely by a special keepsake. Your stitches are immaculate and I too love the little shadows being cast.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!