Sunday, September 17, 2023

Jelly Roll Day

Even though I was recently sorta' complaining about not getting anything done (re: this post), I need to confess that I am 100% at fault. I just love starting projects. And, yes, on top of all those "irons in the fire" mentioned in that post, I have started something else.

Yestderday was Moda's commemoration of the Jelly Roll, and each September they have "Sew a Jelly Roll" day. I always have some Jelly Rolls around here, so I thought why not dig one out, and stitch up a fast, simple and fun quilt. Yes, why not?

The JR I selected was Susannah's Scraps by Betsy Chutchian. I hadn't been saving it for anything in particular, so I grabbed it out of the drawer and commenced to looking for a background. It sat on Thatched for a bit - that's the background for my Autumn Leaves quilt. It looks good, but I wanted something a bit more rustic looking.

This tan from my stash tub seems to suit me. I prefer not to overthink decisions like this, so after looking at the fabrics from all directions, I deemed it as my background. 


Unrolling a Jelly Roll is rather a thrill - seeing and admiring all the fabrics is a real treat. When I buy these precuts I generally have no idea what I will end up doing with them; I think it boils down to a super- easy and convenient way to have a bit of each fabric from the designer's line.

The pattern I am making is called Jelly Filled, and I found it through a search on Pinterest.  It's free pattern by Material Girls Quilts, and if you search around on that link you should find a video tutorial for all the construction details.

I didn't get a lot of time to sew yesterday, but I did get a start. These blocks are made with five of the JR strips sewn together, and then cut into 10.5-inch squares. Because it will come together so fast, I hope to have an update on a finish to share here soon.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I love the fabrics in that jelly roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do, too! Several years ago, I made a Betsy Chutchian quilt with Charm Squares. I need to see what line I used on it. Maybe it, too, was Susannah's Scraps.

      Delete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!