Friday, September 8, 2023

I Went Shopping

Even though I promise myself that I mustn't buy more fabric, I do - on occasion - fall off  the wagon. It makes sense to stumble when a 20% discount is available, wouldn't you agree? This is one of my rules for further fabric purchasing -  when possible, take advantage of sales. 

Two other rules that I try to follow: have a specific quilt selected requiring the new purchase or for completing a quilt already under construction. Now if a sale falls in line with either of these goals, then you can bet I am taking advantage of it. *grin*

The fabrics shown above DO meet the rules/requirements. In the last post or two, I mentioned that I bought more background for the fall leaves I was making. Thatched (Robin Pickens) is on the bottom of the stack, and I now have plenty to complete the quilt. (And I will probably have some left over.)

The four (4) fabrics on top are all 1-yard precuts, and I plan to use them in yet another 9-patch quilt I want to make. I'm thinking of a specific inspiration pattern that I will imitate with modifications, and while it might not see action for awhile -  it will definitely see action at some point. I figured it made sense to get them when I could take advantage of a 20%  discount.

That 'paint-spattered' print does not meet my buying requirements, but gosh, it looks like it would work with so many things. It just seemed suited to having around for future planning. I finished the bolt, getting roughly 2-3 yards.

The floral print in this photo was absolutely screaming to be bought. Instead, I left it behind. Yep. Walked away from it. Later I heard Becky (one of our retreat gals) gushing over this very same line of fabric - Sienna by Max and Louise for Andover Fabrics. We made a second trip to the fabric store the next day and I got 4 yards. The folded 1-yard cut I'd gotten the first day without even knowing that it was a Sienna piece. Seems like it was meant to be. You can be sure I am searching for just the right pattern in which to use this floral.

The final piece I got is for a new category of fabric purchasing  - clothes or quilts for Cate. Yes, since having a baby granddaughter to sew for, I am always on the lookout for pretty prints to make her little dresses and rompers. The mauve, pink, orange and maroon colors seem perfect for a little girl's dress. I have a new pattern and will get going on it ASAP.

And just look at our little angel in a dress made by me from the stash. Even for her, if I have enough of a suitable stash fabric, I will use it rather than buy more. This pic was taken Sunday while she and her parents visited Mom, Cate's great-grandmother. *smiles*

So, where exactly do I stand on the whole notion of curbing my fabric buying? Well, some might say it's a draw, but truly, I am buying much less than I once did. The stash I have accumulated for 40 years needs to be whittled down, and I am really working on doing that. My purchases are more carefully considered and carefully weighed before pulling out my wallet. 

Truly.

Happy Quilting, Friends!

2 comments:

  1. I'm also trying to curb buying fabric by making sure I have a project in mind for fabric purchases however . . . background fabrics are purchased when I like one. Of course you have to have enough for a whole quilt so that means 5 or 6 yards but what if you need more than that? The safest option is to just buy the whole bolt. I guess I'm not really cutting down am I? Happy stitching!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too try to use from the stash before I buy - I mainly get what I need now for backgrounds and backings and try to use all the scraps I can

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!