Friday, October 27, 2023

Cookie Troubles

I've been experiencing some difficulties with technology here in the last few days which accounts for my long absence from posting here. In an effort to fix things, I am appealing to you readers who know anything about cookies and Blogspot/Blogger and settings - especially for Google. I have tried many combinations of fixes, and have even taken my laptop to a tech guy - still no fix.

What I am able to do - for now - is to load my pictures onto a draft from my phone; then come back to my laptop to type text and move photos around.

In these intervening days, difficulties also occurred with my longarm machine. I'd been having such good success with it while doing my own quilts, so when my Frienzie Hettie called to ask me for a quick job on a baby quilt, I agreed to do it. She was about to get a 3rd grandbaby, coming earlier than expected per OB doctor's orders, so the rush was on!

I got along reasonably well until I neared the bottom third of the quilt. Then stitches began skipping and the upper thread began breaking. I removed a lot of quilting stitches while I thought through what my next step ought to be.



In the picture below, my seam ripper is pointing to an area where stitches have skipped. You can see that the needle did go through the fabric, but the bobbin thread did not catch. I tried all the usual tricks, but it soon became evident that my timing was off. 

I have fixed timing before, and while quilters make it sound complicated, it really isn't. I've watched a particular YouTube video about 100 times, and know the basics of what I need to do. I just had to be in the right frame of mind and have good morning sunlight to aid my bright lights - the machine's inner workings are hard for old eyes to see in dim lighting.

While I was fixing things, I took some time to adjust the upper tension; before long I was removing the quilt from the frame. Yay! Hettie also asked me to make and attach the binding; once that was done, Hettie picked up her quilt for an evening of tacking down binding.




The backing and much of the front of this quilt is batik fabric. I know lots of longarmers don't care for quilting on batik, but I'd done it before and never had had any troubles. Even now, I don't know if that contributed in any way to my issues. I may never know, but I do know that with each setback I learn new things and grow more confident.

Meet Ezra Meeker, all 5 pounds, 10.5 ounces of  him! He was born Friday, October 20, and measured 17.75 inches long. He doesn't take up much space on his new quilt! Hettie snapped this for me to post here. Won't it be fun to watch as he grows and fills out this quilt!? 

Happy Quilting, Friends!

Jayne

3 comments:

  1. baby will grow quickly! cute quilt, I'm no help on computer issues though

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had the same problems with cookies and leaving comments on blogs. It's been frustrating. Even when I allowed cookies before leaving a comment it didn't always work.
    I recently discovered that my Firefox browser has been protecting me, and that's caused a lot of problems leaving comments. If you use Firefox, try this: In the bar at the top of your screen where the url is, look to the left of that for the shield symbol. Click on it, then turn the Advanced Tracking Protection off. Then I can leave a comment. When you go to the next blog to leave a comment, you'll probably have to repeat the process because it only seems to work for the website you're visiting.
    If you don't use Firefox, I'm no help. I hope you get it worked out. Problems like these are so frustrating.
    Also, similar to you, I have to open a private window to load photos when creating a blog post. I haven't figured out yet what that's about or how to get around it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your friend's baby quilt. My daughter uses a crocheted blanket that I made to document my granddaughter's growth. It is amazing how quickly she has taken up more space on the quilt. I wish I could help with Blogger, but I upload my photos to my laptop and then add photos one at a time as I can't seem to move them once I place them in my post. Blogger was much easier to use when I started.

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!