Thursday, October 12, 2023

Quilting Two Ways

In the last 24 hours I have hand quilted and machine quilted. I want to do more on each, but I need to focus on the one with the deadline. 

Cate's growth chart is nearly finished, and I needed to consult with my daughter on how far above and below the ending numbers she wanted me to quilt. I will add two or three more rows of quilting on each end. Then it is ready to be bound and finished. Just in time to hand it off to them when they visit this weekend.

Obviously, this is where I need to shift my focus, and I would love to have this done and checked off my list.  So, yes, this comes first.

Remember, though, the quilt I loaded onto the longarm machine yesterday? I have made one pass along the quilt using a tighter or more dense free-motion design than I normally do. I like it! I am super stoked to continue this design - not only are the meandering stitches more dense with less of the quilt's surface remaining unquilted, but the curves and undulations are lots smaller than most of the quilting I've done to date. It's good practice for me. I hope that when I get back to it I can replicate the quilting I've already done.

Extending myself by trying different styles of free-motion designs is easier to do when the quilt is smaller. This quilt is in the twin or maybe even lap quilt range, so I thought it seemed logical to try a new style. It's far from perfect, but I am definitely feeling more and more confident with each quilt.

Hope you are having a wonderful Thursday! It's sort of a perfect fall day around here - it's gorgeous!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!