Friday, October 13, 2023

Miracle Color Catcher

For just about the entire summer, I have had two quilts draped over some furniture in the screened porch for just a bit of lively color. Both are quilts I quilted this summer, and both are blue Kaffe Fassett quilts. So, yes, lively color is a given. 

One quilt was Economy Blue, shown in part here with its polka-dot backing. I made the top in 2011 and quilted it in June.

The other quilt is my Cobalt Stars which has the same backing fabric as the first. I made this quilt top in 2021 and quilted it in June

So, as I said, these two quilts have resided on the screened porch since mid-June. Now that I am thinking of closing up the porch and preparing it for fall and winter, I needed to wash these two quilts. I didn't dare store them away with the probable chance of stink bugs and spiders residing in their folds.

Off to the washing machine! I am eternally grateful for whatever little voice whispered in my ear just before shutting the lid. "Use a color catcher," it said. Neither of the quilts had been washed, and while I don't often worry about blues running color in the wash, I thought there was just enough white on Cobalt Stars that I didn't want to take any chances.

And I am so glad I did! I do not have a clue as to the science behind the way these little things work, but how grateful I am that they do!

Look at the blue captured by the color catcher! I am blown away. What a lucky girl I am that I thought to do this. I would hate to think how blue the crisp white would be on Cobalt Stars. It probably would still be pretty - I mean, blue, right? - but I used a white background on purpose. 

Now I've got two freshly laundered quilts perfectly squishy and cuddly with their colors in tact. Thank goodness for little blessing!

That's all for today, Peeps. 

Guess what!??! Cate is coming tomorrow!

Happy Quilting, Friends!

1 comment:

  1. the blues are really pretty, good thinking to add the color catcher

    ReplyDelete

Feedback on my posts is always welcome!